Fitting TRV's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking into replacing my current radiator valves with some thermostatic ones. When it comes to the changing them over will i also need to replace the compression fitting on the copper pipe or is it ok to use the old one?

Thanks

Richard

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember that when I did this it was a straight swop without needing to mess around with the olive or fitting.

I do wish I'd put a bit of PTFE on the fittings though.

On some TRV's the pipe access is only slight and you may find that the olive doesn't engage with the TRV so you have to cut a thin slice off the copper. Its just a case of try it and see really. Enjoy!
John :)

Thanks to you both.

On some TRV's the pipe access is only slight and you may find that the olive doesn't engage with the TRV so you have to cut a thin slice off the copper. Its just a case of try it and see really. Enjoy!
John :)

If that happens do you know if I'll need a specific kind of pipe cutter or will anyone do e.g. http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12468...Tools/Pipe-Cutters/Automatic-Pipe-Cutter-15mm I'll be using a Honeywell VT200E if that makes any difference.

Sponsored Links
and sometimes you need to take off the old olive without cutting the pipe, and put a new nut on. You can nick the olive with a Dremel if it is embedded in the old pipe and won't come off. Or you can nick it with a junior hacksaw but be careful not to cut into the pipe.

It is much easier if the pipes come down, or up through a wooden floor with a bit of play in them. If they are embedded in a concrete floor and will not move it is a very tiresome job.

I am not a pro and find a few turns of PTFE tape round the olive reduces the risk of leakage.

Fit the TRVs on the Flow side if you can. I would fit new Lockshield valves as well unless you know that the old ones are quite new or very good quality. Unless you already have good drain cocks, you can get a lockshield valve with drain-off incorporated for a few pounds, these are useful on downstairs rads, and essential on any rad connected to a pipe coming down from the ceiling.

If you have Belmont valves you can re-washer them or sell them to me :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back