Fitting vanity unit to skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly tools-profile guage and jigsaw with scrolling blade?
Any recommendations for both/either tool?
If not best way to approach this task? I do not want to cut and remove a section of skirting board.

Sponsored Links
What a vague post! Surely you should provide more detail on the task at hand if you want to receive a proper response?

Is the vanity unit sitting up to the wall but you want to reduce the gap? Is there skirting on either side? Is the skirting being attached to the front of the vanity unit? Is there skirting behind the unit and again you want to remove the gap?

Profile gauge- i've used cheap plastic ones (or tried to) and really not accurate enough. You'll get a better result offering the unit to the skirting and using a scribe to mark the cutout. Beware carpet or other floor coverings.
Cutout-depending on the skirting profile and what the unit is made of a router may give you a cleaner cut and a set of small files to do any intricate bits.
However you do it, get some scrap wood or chipboard or whatever and have a few practise runs.

i usually use a compass, although i do also have a profile tool, plastic , which has been OK
this sort of thing
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duplicator...412920370802&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0
But my dad was a cabinet maker and as a kid when i went out helping , he always used a compass , which worked fine

For jigsaw , I like the bosch blades and have used these to cut a profile on laminated material
https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-t101ao-wood-jigsaw-blades-56mm-5-pack/36303
they DO NOT cut straight lines though

Or I have used a router to get the profile

Sponsored Links
Pencil compass to mark out and a coping saw to cut out. Slower but infinitely more controllable than using a jig saw in my experience. Router? WTF!

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back