Fittings to mount joists on piles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing a suspended conservatory floor on mini-piles, and I'm looking for something to do the job of a joist hanger but which can be mounted on top of a mini-pile, and it will need some adjustability.

I think I've seen some fittings which do the job, but I can't find them.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Ferdinand

Sponsored Links
Once you have established FFL (finished floor level), why would you need adjustability?

It should be easy and obvious as you are joining to the house, yes?

Once you have established FFL (finished floor level), why would you need adjustability?

It should be easy and obvious as you are joining to the house, yes?

Because I'm not convinced - in my own mind and on architect's advice - that the height of piles can be calibrated to within 2-3mm or so across a largish conservatory.

F

Because I'm not convinced

About what exactly? :confused:

The joists sit on a level wall at each end and then on intermittent honeycomb sleeper walls across their length according to span and joist depth.

These sleeper walls can be built as true as yer boots with something as simple as a line strung across the end walls.

So where is yours and the architects' problem?

Sponsored Links
.. about the rest of the sentence ;):

...that the height of piles can be calibrated to within 2-3mm or so across a largish conservatory

As per the OP, in this case the joists sit on mini piles, about 12" diameter and 800-1000mm deep. I have a farmer friend with a hole-borer on a jcb.

The situation is a little unusual, as the house is an 1850s cottage with almost no foundations, so I will be building a little flexibility into the join.

The conservatory is relatively lightweight (no dwarf walls), so rather than doing 1m foundations and a slab I'm going for mini-piles.

I also looked at gabion or 'egg crate and gravel' floating foundations but small gabions are very expensive and I couldn't convince myself that a floating foundation would work on top of a fairly movable clay-loam soil, which is about 2ft deep, and I can't find anything to let me do a 2ft deep egg-crate and gravel base economically - though it would be feasible.

It's also fun to do it differently.

F

Kinda sounds like you are trying to invent a new way of creating foundations.. why not just simply put in a raft footing for the conservatory?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back