Fix Timber to Concrete Fence Post

20200607_184004.jpg

Support timber must go in the rebar and gate in between, otherwise you will really risk cracking the posts.
Support need to fit rebar, so 4x2 maybe wrong size.
Check it, from memory it's 3x2

Sponsored Links
Ah, that won't work then. As I say the gap between the two inner edges is only 915mm. The gates 900mm, so there isn't enough room ☹️

Sponsored Links
Let me understand, is the smallest gap 915mm as in my picture?
If so, you need 2 support timber pieces that will be more or less flush with the post and sit nicely in the rebate.

Attachments

• 20200607_205915.jpg
    20200607_205915.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 59
Like this.

20200607_210042.jpg

Of course the hinge side will stick out enough to accommodate the hinges, you can play with the 15mm there, but you only need 5mm, then the rest will give you a gap at the lock side

The gate is 900mm wide, the gap as you say is about 915mm. I don't have the hinges to hand, but the other I have at home on gates/sheds need at least an inch to fit the hinge.

I can't see how this would leave enough room to do inside?

An inch???
Do you live in a cathedral?
Hinges to work only need a few mm clearance.
In fact, you could even grind off a little bit of the post to accommodate the hinges and have the timber flush.

I think I am missg something. I've attached a pic of some pretty lightweight hinges I have outside. This is the same type of hinge on one gate and two sheds. They all need 30mm of post showing in order to fit the hinge?

I cant see how I would do that if the gate is 900mm and the gap between posts is 915mm?

Thanks for keeping with me!!

IMG_20200608_110848.jpg
IMG_20200608_111718.jpg

You will need to fit the hinges as hinges are fitted, not in a butterfly fashion.
Have a look at the doors in your house.

Tee hinges will work fine if you want that look, otherwise if the gate is solid, use fire rated hinges, they're very strong and don't rust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back