Fixing a 32" tv wall mount bracket to single stud?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for thoughts on the sanity of this?

I have a stud wall in the kids bedroom where I'm fitting a little 32" TV to her wall that I got for Christmas, the studs in this wall are at 600mm centres, the bracket fixing plate (rectangular with slotted holes for fixing) is only 250mm width, so I'm left with two options.

1) Fix with two screws at one side to the available stud, fix the other two with toggle bolts or the like which aren't great fixings in my view.
2) Fix with only two screws centrally to the one stud and hang the TV on that.

My reasoning for even considering Option 2 is that the TV doesn't have a huge amount of weight to it and if fixed tight enough to the bracket with a washer, it shouldn't move/tilt up and down too much?

I reckon it's strong enough to hold the TV but am I asking for trouble here?

Or are there other solutions to this problem?

I've only ever wall hung larger TVs with brackets which span the studs or was fixing to brick... this is new one on me.

Sponsored Links
Fit a 600 wide piece of ply to the studs and attach the bracket to that?
It's a kids room, it's going to get knocked! :rolleyes:

Fit a 600 wide piece of ply to the studs and attach the bracket to that?
It's a kids room, it's going to get knocked! :rolleyes:

Yeah I could probably do that but I just went ahead and fixed with the two screws to the stud... the bracket is small enough that it's very stable, the only issue I have is that the bracket arms have a fixing screw on the bottom which you’re meant to tighten once you offer it up to the wall Mount plate to keep the TV tight on the bracket but due to the shape of the bottom of the TV, you can’t get to the screw to tighten it… very annoying

Either of your solutions are fine , have 50” tv on plasterboard without any fixing to studs .
You need a long bladed screwdriver to reach the lock screws , I use a couple of extension bits for same job

Sponsored Links
Either of your solutions are fine , have 50” tv on plasterboard without any fixing to studs .
You need a long bladed screwdriver to reach the lock screws , I use a couple of extension bits for same job

Yeah it works fine, my concern was whether the bracket would tilt left and right but it tightens up well and is pretty rock solid.

Just as an aside for anyone with a Samsung TV, it seems Samsung like to go out of their way to make the bolts required for their wall Mount brackets into the back of the tv to be the most awkward, non-standard possible… e.g. mine required an M4 x 26-28. I had sourced a pack on eBay but the delivery was a couple weeks. Luckily I found a few M4 x 30mm and doubled up on washers, it did the trick but this is a common issue with modern Samsungs it seems.

Have no problem with my Samsungs , tv brackets all seem to come with several different screw options , one always fits .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back