fixing a shelf to hollow plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm trying to put up an Ikea Ekby Alex shelf onto a plasterboard wall which is hollow and has no studs.
I tried using self drill plasterboard fixings but as soon as a bit of weight was put on the shelf it ripped out of the wall.
Is there anything I can use to fix the shelf to the wall ? Are gripits any good?
Also with there being no studs to secure it to is there a risk of the weight of the shelf pulling the plasterboard down?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
20190322_193827.jpg
20190322_193937.jpg

Here's a picture of the wall so you can see how thin it is and of the shelf I'm trying to put up .

It’s probably dot and dab (glued to wall behind) which will require drilling .

I think it could possibly be cardboard honeycomb partition with plasterboard on either side. Is there anyway to fix shelves to this?

Sponsored Links
i dont think card board would hold 2 skins of plaster board, have to tested it with screwdriver to see if its solid?

I think the proper name for it is paramount partition panels.
Its definitely not solid.
From what I've read about paramount panels,you can't hang more than a picture on them so I think I'm going to have to scrap the idea of a shelf.

It looks like plasterboard to me. There will be studs but usually a good distance apart. Gripit fixings are good as are spring toggle fixings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back