Fixing builders hessian on lime mortar brickwork repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've installed a new soil stack and removed one from another location, and now it's time to repair the brickwork and plug the holes. Its all lime mortar, of which I've now got a bucket, and while I understand how to apply the mortar and help it dry properly, I'm trying to sort out how to cover the repairs with builders hessian fabric to protect from wind etc while it dries. The repairs are about 3m up and there's nothing obvious to attach the fabric to, aside from brickwork. Is there an obvious bit of kit that I'm missing here?

Sponsored Links
I must admit I do cover any lime work I'm doing with hessian if it its sunny, frosty or windy. I beat the joints with a churn brush a couple of times to close any shrinkage
If you do cover high up then a length of batten between two poles or square timber with the sack drapped down from horizontal can be propped against the wall .

@lostinthelight thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'm just being cautious, but it seems sensible to cover lime mortar, even in the late summer given winds, unpredictable temp (I'd been told it should be covered if temp gets below 15C) and other weather! Propping a bit of impromptu scaffolding seems like a great approach - which I'll replicate. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I wonder what they did when actually building with lime for centuries?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back