fixing frame to plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fix 3X2 framing to the plasterboard ceiling & wall to make a partition, what's the best method of fixing?
The toggles I see in DIY shops look very flimsy & the hollow wall fixing plugs don't look as if they would be much good either.
The frame will be a tight fit & tapped into place so would adhesive such as 'Nonails' type stuff do?

Sponsored Links
You need to fix to joists/rafters in the ceiling and blocks (solid wall) or framing (partition wall)

If the new partition falls between rafters / uprights you need to fit noggins.

Plasterboard is not strong enough to fix to, with plugs and scres or no more nails.

Obviously if the partition is perpendicular to the ceiling joists then find one using a metal detector to find the nails or simply push a screwdriver through along a line that will be covered by the head rail of the partition untill you find a joist, the next one will be about 400mm along.

If you are parallell to the ceiling joists and you are lucky, one may be right above where you want it, if not, make up your timber frame on the floor about 10mm shorter than the ceiling, lift it into place and secure with a few wedges, fill the 10mm gap with expanding foam along the entire length and if possible use screws to fix the frame to the walls at either end. Use plasterboard scres not nails to fix the boards, scrim tape all edges and whilst you may not be skimming the existing walls and ceiling, you should feather edge a narrow band to cover and secure the scrim.

foam and plasterboard may not be strong in localised fixing points but over large areas they are more than strong enough to hold. I have recently fitted windows into a rubble built house where it was impossible to find purchase for frame screws. between the foam all the way around, the outside render and the inside plaster they will withstand any winds that they are likely to see

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tips, the partition will come exactly in between the joists so no fixings into those, using scrim tape & foam seems a good idea so I will use your suggestions.
:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back