Fixing handrail to newel post

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a wall moved upstairs and this has created a landing that I need to put a balustrade on.

I've bought everything I thought I needed but am stumped with fixing the handrail to one of the newel posts.

I ordered fixing bolts which have a square that you screw into a recess on the handrail and then bolt through from the other side of the newel.

One of my posts will have two handrails to form an L shape. I had thought that I would be able to put the bolts at slightly different heights to avoid them hitting in the middle of the post but the handrail is only big enough to fit the square nut thing in one place.

Is there another option for fixing handrails in this scenario so they are on the same level?

Sponsored Links
Could you drill right through one, with the metal bracket temporarily in place so you can see where it will be, and use a dowel?
Ideally on whatever is less likely to take a load.

An alternative to a wooden dowel glued in would be a carefully aligned woodscrew - maybe 2 to avoid twisting. A lot of handrails are very flimsy until it's all locked up

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
Thanks both, I've ordered some Zipbolt slip fixings. They look like just the right thing for the job.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back