Fixing holes in MDF floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a new build house over 10 years ago and the builders had used some sort of filler to fill a couple of holes in the bedroom floor.

Since then the filler has come loose and I'm looking for a simple option to repair. The holes are about 3 cm in diameter.

What would be the best filler to use in these holes, or is there a better solution?

The room is carpeted so the repairs will be covered over.

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming it's chip board, the proper way would be to cut back to the nearest joists and screw a new piece in (of plywood or softwood). I'm surprised the filler didn't drop through, what would happen if you put a bed leg on that point?

The proper proper fix ;)would be to rip it all up and replace with ply, but that would be 10 pounds a square metre just for the ply, plus fixings and time of...

Edit forgot to mention as a quick fix you can slot in some wood and screw through the chip board and wood, then pack up to floor level with another bit. But that's not a structurally approved method

Thanks John. The filler now feels loose underfoot and I think it’s started dropping through.

Looks like 3 pieces of chipboard are affected.

Any idea of the cost get someone in to replace them?

Just replace with more filler would be a half hour bodge and you could do it yourself. Just get some filler from wickes and bash it in the hole with a filling knife. I guess a handy person would do it for 30quid but get a quote or two.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I was thinking how much to get someone to replace 3 pieces of chipboard flooring with new?

You'd really have to get quotes, if it were me I'd do it myself, 15 mins get the tools ready and Mark out where to cut, 15 minutes with the circular saw, 15 mins to mark the new boards out, another 15 mins with the circular saw and another 15 to screw it all down. Add on time to get materials and time for mess ups and it's probably a half day easily. But I'm not a tradesman

If it has taken 10 years for it to start to fail I would just go out get yourself some 2 pack filler and do it again, it's not worth ripping flooring up for 3 tiny holes like that.
I would doubt you would get anyone wanting to quote to do the work and if they did you wouldn't want to pay the price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back