Fixing insulation in converted loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I moved into a 1930s bungalow with a converted loft at the end of last year; our bedroom is in the loft, with eaves storage on either side. I can see in the eaves that a previous owner has put insulation between the joists , but not very well as there are big gaps on either side. I can patch/replace the parts I can reach in the eaves , but the panels run up into the bedroom ceiling which I clearly can't easily reach. To do it properly I assume I'd have to take the ceiling down, which isn't desirable... Anyone have any ideas how I could improve it? I thought maybe I could pull them out and try to stuff rockwool in its place but if I couldn't push it all the way to the apex then I'd probably just make it worse...

Any suggestions appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
Pull ceiling down. Stuffing "stuff" in could well interfere with the air gap required between insulation and roof timbers. Alternatively, If you can stand the loss of headroom then underboarding below the existing plasterboard ceiling with insulation backed plasterboard would be an improvement (and it's what you really should do anyway if taking the ceiling down to prevent "cold bridging").

Carefully used, expanding foam is good for filling the gaps where accessable.

If you will be concerned about it i would take the ceiling down and do a proper job.

But, is it cold in there? Any issues?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Yes it does get quite cold, you can particularly it on feel the vertical wall adjoining the eaves space, and draft through the eaves door. What I'll probably do in the short term is put some PIR board behind the wall to at least protect that a bit and some form of draft excluder round the doors, as well as plugging the gaps on the boards I can reach and see how that improves things this winter.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back