Fixing into double plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
, anyone got a good solution for fixing into a double layer of plasterboard? I tried the metal screw type fixing that I usually use in single skin and it failed.

Sponsored Links
Hi, anyone got a good solution for fixing into a wall double lined with two layers of plasterboard? I tried the metal screw type fixings that I usually use fine in a single skin and they failed. Any help greatly appreciated.

What are you attaching? Weight?

Sponsored Links
What are you attaching? Weight?

What’s behind board ?
Hi guys, thanks for the interest. I have to put up shelf brackets. The shelves need to carry a fair bit of weight. There is a void containing insulation behind the plasterboard. Metal stud frame. It's a modern university building and I have to put up shelves on three sides of the room. With brackets at 600mm centers. I have been using butterfly cavity fixings but the likelihood of hitting something within the wall seems pretty high with the amount of brackets I am fitting. About 30 of them.

Spring toggles won in this test...

But I personally don't like how much play there is when you attach things, for example you need a 14mm hole for the M5 version, so there's 9mm of play! Also, they fall down inside the wall if you undo them for decorating, etc.

I'd go for toggler in your case, came second for strength. They still need a fairly large hole, but it remains centred when you slide the little plastic bit into the wall.

Spring toggles won in this test...

But I personally don't like how much play there is when you attach things, for example you need a 14mm hole for the M5 version, so there's 9mm of play! Also, they fall down inside the wall if you undo them for decorating, etc.

I'd go for toggler in your case, came second for strength. They still need a fairly large hole, but it remains centred when you slide the little plastic bit into the wall.
That's brilliant. Thank you very much!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back