Fixing Met Posts into Concrete

Deluks said:
Much better (and slightly cheaper) to use hammer in studs (throughbolts/parabolts), or thunderbolts.
I've used the thunderbolts for fixing several things (shed bases, metal fixings etc) into concrete...have never had a failure yet!

Sponsored Links
Fast worker as I am :D, I have not done this yet! Took the original bolts back and plan to buy some thunderbolts as recommended by others.

Any advice as to what size and length bolt I should be using to attach the 4" metpost, with approximately 5 - 6ft of post. 4 posts in all, one attached to house wall, 2 with bolt down metposts and one concreted in in that order will support some trellis and weedy climbing plants - not too much wind resistance.

When attaching the post to the wall (it's a single brick thick gable wall) should I be drilling holes as close to the centre of a brick as possible? With such an old wall I want to do as little damage as possible.

100mm should do fine, if the bolt is wider than the mortar joint then into the mortar will be ok, if it's slightly smaller I'd go through the middle of the brick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back