Fixing plasterboard onto my internal garage walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, first timer on here and also a DIY novice! so please excuse me if this question is stupid!!
I am planning to cover the inside walls of my garage with plasterbaord. How do I do it? I guess I need to fix battens to the walls and then screw the plasterboard onto the battens? Is there anything i should know before I start? Any particualrs products i should use? I also want to lay laminate flooring in the garage - should i do this before I fix on the plasterboard or after?
Any help would be great guys, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are you asking how to fix plasterboard (wrong Forum) or if you need Planning Permission & Building Regulations approval to convert you garage into a habitable room?

Assuming that your wanting to make it into a habitable room, I'd be looing at insulating the walls before plaster boarding them :D

Sponsored Links
Assuming these are solid walls, then you don't want to use adhesive as the likelihood of damp will loosen the bond.

Fix [treated] timber battens minimum 50 x 38 (eg tile laths) with plug and screws or Hilti nailed.

Consider fitting a damp membrane and/or vapour barrier and insulation too, before boarding. Search the building forum for more specific details of " dry lining "

Do the walls, then lay the laminate, then fix the skirting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back