Fixing plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I want to fix some plasterboards to a wall but I can't go above about 15mm total thickness. I was going to use 9.5 boards and stick them with gyproc board adhesive. So obviously I have around 5mm adhesive thickness, is this enough?
I'd rather use 12.5mm boards but that would reduce the adhesive thickness even more. The boards are going on a landing which has 4 door openings so the largest board will be about 1 metre by the 8ft full height.
The reason I'm doing this is because the mouldings around the door openings are in rubbish condition and my daughter, who's house it is, wants to change them to match the ones downstairs. I cant just remove them like I did downstairs they are part of the door frames. I've never seen this before but the frames and the mouldings are one piece of wood so not removable.
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
If your wall is pretty straight ie the brickwork is even then the dabs can go pretty thin, so what you’re proposing should work. 9.5mm is pretty bendy though. If the wall is wider than the door frame, you can add some small stripwood to the frame to bring it flush for the architrave to fit, if that’s what your issue is

If your wall is pretty straight ie the brickwork is even then the dabs can go pretty thin, so what you’re proposing should work. 9.5mm is pretty bendy though. If the wall is wider than the door frame, you can add some small stripwood to the frame to bring it flush for the architrave to fit, if that’s what your issue is
The walls are pretty good they are skimmed Plaster board though 60 years old. So will the gyproc be ok if I dab it on the walls thinly?
If it wont be ok are there any alternatives to board adhesive that will work on a 3mm thickness?
I could add strips of wood to the existing mouldings to increase their thickness to more than the 15mm they are now but I'd rather keep the work down to a minimum.

Should be fine, may need to mix it a bit thinner than normal and you’ll have no wiggle room to level the board so will have to follow the existing wall
Another possibility is chase battens out of existing board finishing at right depth and fix to brick behind?

Sponsored Links
You should not really be gluing to plaster in case that plaster comes loose, but if the plaster is sound then 9.5mm and a few tubes of quality no nails type adhesive will be fine.

Otherwise if the plaster is loose or poor, then you should knock a few pactches out and use these for the dabs.

You can also get some foam adhesive which will allow thin beads, but this will require a gun to use it.

It's a stud wall so I can't knock patches out to get more depth for the adhesive. For the same reason I can't fix battons to bricks behind. I've just realised though if I can find the studs I can screw the boards to the existing framework. I feel a bit daft now why didn't I think of that earlier? Thanks for the replies much appreciated.

if its a stud wall then just re-screw new boards over the top. aslong as you dont hit cables or pipes. then you will be able to use the thicker boards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back