Fixing shelf bracket to 25mm insulated plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Wanting to put a few shelves up and have bought the brackets (Sandshult, from IKEA). As you can see on the photo, there's a recess at the back of the bracket that slots onto a screw.

The wall is 25mm insulated plasterboard and I was planning on using hollow wall anchors. However, only an M4 head fits into the recess (M5 too big) but I can't find any M4 hollow wall anchors that can be used with plasterboard that thick. So I'm a bit stuck as don't know how I can securely fix the brackets to the wall.

Spring toggles and other platerboard fixings won't work as they need to grip against something whereas with these brackets the screw needs to protrude by a few mm.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Why do they make it so hard?!

Thanks very much,
Jack

Attachments

• 20220524_193956.jpg
    20220524_193956.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220524_194008.jpg
    20220524_194008.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_20220524-194920_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20220524-194920_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
What about long screws... straight through the insulated plasterboard, and into the brick? (presuming it is a brick wall behind) Something like 80mm long.

That could be a good shout. What sort of screws would drive straight into brick? Would frame fixings be best?

Sponsored Links
Standard screws and rawl plugs, frame fixings may work, but make sure the head is not to large, and go steady when you are tightening it, as there may be a slight compression of the plasterboard when doing so.

If you aren't going to put loads of weight on it, you'll be fine. My last one held, as described, being full of books.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back