Fixing to lath and plaster??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have quite a heavy bathroom cabinet that has a lighting strip down each side and weight about 13kg. (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00248119/)

I was hoping to fix this to an internal wall (on the bathroom side obviously), but I am having a few problems.

I started to cut out a hole of the plaster for chasing in new electrics. I was expecting to find cinder block, however I am now 60mm deep into the internal wall and all I have hit is plaster and perhaps some insulation? If this is a cinder block wall, is cinder block very soft, and the dust the same colour as plaster? also it means the cinder block is solid. Is this normal?

This wall could be latch and plaster, but if it is, its not obvious to me.

the house is 1930s construction.

should i just go ahead and use resin anchors?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There's a very good chance your wall is lath and plaster.....have you considered spring toggle fixings?
Often, if a timber lath is placed at the bottom of your cabinet, it helps to spread the load.
John :)

Just standard hollow plaster partition wall[insulated? probably not original.]. You will need plasterboard heavy duty fixings. Or as you have cut into it you may be able to get a timber in behind the fixing location giving more support.

thanks for the replies. I am actually positive it is not lath and plaster row. There appears to be approx 3mm plaster skim, underneath this is 25mm plaster layer (which has stones in it??) and then under that its a white chalky layer - perhaps Gypsum block? So there is no cavity behind the wall, and no wood in the wall. If its gyp[sum block, what can i use to attach to it?

I have some M6 55mm through bolts coming in the post, will these be sufficient?

for info the total partition wall thickness is approximately 75mm. I have also taken a photo. I am not drilling any deeper as I fear I will go straight through the wall and into the landing.

thanks

Sponsored Links
are you familiar with lightweight (foamed) concrete blocks?

Where is the house?

Thanks, not heard of foamed concrete blocks.

I am a bit of a diy novice, so please bear with me. The electrician who quoted me to do the wiring suggested that the wall is likely to be cinder block as no studs can be located in the wall.

If it's cinder block or foamed concrete blocks, I would have expected them to be grey rather than white. If it is indeed foamed concrete block, are through bolts suitable for hanging my bathroom cabinet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back