Plastering over tiles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a wall that was added as a partition in a bedroom, making a bathroom/toilet. It is made of cinder block and lime mortar, and tiled on both sides to about 5Ft. The tiles are stuck on with hard cement.

We need to plaster the wall, so it it either chisel the tiles off, or plaster over them. I don't think plaster will stick to the glaze. I have wedged a plank of wood on the other side, hoping to damp the vibrations, while chiselling. (tomorrow)

Is there a product readily available that will stick plaster or board to tiles, or is there a good way to rough the surface?

Camerart.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No, dot and dab wouldn't stick to tiles, you'd have to drill and plug or batten the wall. Which would be boring...once you've smacked the tiles off, if the surface is rubbish underneath then you could board over. Or if the tiles are hard work, just get enough off for dot and dab

I would try to get the surface tiles off without disturbing the cement underneath, don't worry if you can't get every last bit of tile off ( you just want a rough area for the bonding plaster to cling to ).
Then fix a batten to the wall above the tiled area that is a tad proud of the roughed up area to act as a level for a coat of bonding. It wouldn't hurt to give the area a coat of pva the night before but it's not essential as the bonding will adhere to the surface as it is.
This will give you a tight coat of bonding on the lower part and provide a level (when dried ) to fill out the top part with bonding to give a level area across the whole wall to skim over.

Mike

Hi,

We braced the wall, so it wouldn't vibrate much, then stripped the tiles where they need plastering. The tiles wouldn't come off without removing the cement. The lower ones have had a coat of sticky, and will be tiled over.

Thanks for suggestions.

C.

Last edited:
An old trick is to paper the tiles with woodchip, and then apply a skim coat.

Hi C,
Perhaps my last message wasn't clear. The tile removal has been done.

So no plastering over tiles necessary.

Thanks.
C
C

You might not be the only person in the world who needs to do this :)

Thanks
C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back