Flat battery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My peugeot partner van has a flat battery. I bought a new one i think about 2 yrs ago.

I did notice this week it was a little hard to start and today it was dead.

I have an old charger and have put it on a fast charge.

The positive terminal had some corrosion on it, plus this connection was a bit loose. Could this have been the issue ? I enclose a photo.

Anyway, how long does a fast charge take to work ? I am charging it at the moment, but will have to bring the unit in tonight as i can't leave it charging over night on the van.

Its been charging since 5pm

Attachments

• IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1283.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 333
Sponsored Links
Give that terminal a good wire brush, and coat it with vaseline or whatever.....if it has a resistance it will heat up when you crank the engine. These quick release terminals can be a pain but they must be tight!
With a fast charge, you'll see life after an hour or so, often enough but it does depend on how many amps are going in......
John :)

There’s fast charge and fast charge. Fast charge on an old charger could be 5 amps. On others it could be 30amps. Give it a slow charge overnight. That corrosion could be part of your problem. Boiling water will dissolve it. Shouldn’t be a problem if you’ve had it just two years as I see it has a three year guarantee.

God your good Motman. I'm impressed with that level of observation.

Sponsored Links
I decided to bring the battery in, but wanted to see if it would start and it has done. So just been for a 20 mile run.

Will give the terminal a clean tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

A 20 mile run with headlamps etc etc on might not put much back into the battery

I notice that the battery has a three year guarantee so I should check the date you bought it. Also check the voltage across the battery with the engine running, should be about 14.4 volts, much less and you have an alternator problem.

The output of modern alternators can be 100 amps or more so the battery pretty soon recovers from starting the engine but if it goes flat again I would disconnect it overnight and the see if its OK in the morning, if so something could be draining it overnight.

Peter

Got to agree with that one....I was always under the impression that corrosion appeared when the battery was getting on a bit, but it can be attributed to the presence of hydrogen gas or electrolysis between lead and copper when the connection isn't tight.
I rarely see much terminal corrosion these days, I have to say.

The corrosion is caused by chlorine gas escaping from a hairline crack/faulty seal between the terminal post and the battery casing and attacking the battery cable clamp.

My advice battery sounds and looks knackered so don't leave it even if it now seems ok. The colder the weather the worse they perform too which is why people find battery problems this time of year
Go in to where you got the battery from. Our local unipart supplier has a proper load tester and will test it. (Most suppliers will have one).
For info batteries with 4 or 5 yr guarantees are good and generally last often longer than that. 2 or 3 yr guarantee ones tend to be cheaper and often fail before guarantee is up (or worse not long after). I never fitted them. I'm an ex mechanic and now sell cars and vans. If you're keeping a van for a while it's worth the extra cost.
Hope that helps.

Yep, hence the lead sulphate corrosion.
Good point about the terminal posts being loose or cracking the battery case though.

Well i cleaned the connection, and put some vaseline on it.

So far it has started well these last few days. Not as cold at the moment though.

I am also not using the van as much at the moment, so it is sitting on the drive a bit more than in the past.

Fingers crossed it is going to be ok, but i may need to dig out the receipt for the battery when i last replaced it. It will be noted on my accounting software, so easy to check.

Also the van passed its mot yesterday. I was surprised, but i always go to a proper test station so no repairs done there. 123k miles and coming up to 13 yrs old soon. I will make another post about which van to buy as thinking of updating.

Sponsored Links
Back