Flat felt roof issue - RubberBond Fleeceback EPDM opinions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I’ve got a problem with the flat roof on the outbuilding in the garden, when it rains water has been gathering on the roof, this has been going on for a while, now I’ve noticed inside the room cracks have started appearing and its caved in slightly in one corner of the room, I’ve attached 3 photos which show the problem.

View media item 94664 View media item 94665 View media item 94666
I'm currently in the process of getting a few quotes to get this sorted.

I've been recommended RubberBond Fleeceback EPDM, was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on it and whether it'll be durable, also any idea how much on average this should cost to get it done? I'm still waiting for the quotes to come back so at the moment have no idea.

I should be getting 2 quotes back, one to apply the RubberBond over the felt and one to take out the felt and just apply the RubberBond, are there any advantages to take out the felt first?

After the roof is sorted looks like I'll have to get someone else to replaster the affected bit of the ceiling.

Advice appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
You must lift all the old felt and then perhaps do repairs to the decking and joisting. If possible be there when the old roof is lifted - look for signs of fungal decay.
Perhaps all the plaster board ceiling will need replacing.
Doing either of the above will allow you to replace your insulation or even re-design the roof.

You have moisture in your light fittings, which is not alarming but not good.

I cant advise on the varieties of EPDM but others on here can.

Thanks for the reply, one of the guys who came over walked on the roof and said the supports feel fine so should only need the RubberBond, awaiting the full quote however.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, one of the guys who came over walked on the roof and said the supports feel fine so should only need the RubberBond, awaiting the full quote however.

That's nonsense. There is a massive dip in it, and that dip is caused by the joists sagging, and they have sagged because they are not fine.

The joists need strengthening or new ones fitted and aligned, and then new furrings fitted to give a correct fall. Then new decking boards and then covering. You should also add insulation and submit an application to building control.

That's what a roofer should be telling you, and not just bouncing on the roof.

EPDM is a good choice if fitted by competent people. Firestone product needs to be fitted by trained people to get the guarantee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back