Flat roof corner joining existing pitched

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can someone offer any advice on how to weather in where my new extension joins my existing pitched roof? I will obviously cut tiles to fit up against fascia and under soffit. Does the fascia go into the roof or up to tiles? I assume some sort of leadwork to cover it all but not sure how to go about it.

Attachments

• 20191022_173825.jpg
    20191022_173825.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 1,089
Sponsored Links
i cant work out how you've framed the flat roof or whats happening on the RH fascia side?
is there a lintel below the rafters where they enter the pitched roof?

if you remove any obscuring plastic and stand well back and do a few pics showing where the flat roof hits the main roof, and the RH side, it would help?

Last edited:
Ill take another couple of pics in the morning, thought when i uploaded it looked a bit crap.

There is a steel beam that has joist hangers on it holding the new and existing joists.

cheers

One would carcass the flattie facia detail, then repair the pitched roof up to the carcassing - i.e. cut roofing battens back, lay felt lapping up the timber, fix battens, and fix tiles (with soakers if necessary) and an abutment flashing, then cover with décor fascia. If the existing pitched roof overhang is such that it abuts below the fascia line then you would need to chase your abutment flashing into the masonry. Can get a bit fiddly as you get closer to the soffit of the flattie - but doable.

It's sometimes easier/better to cut the carcassing back and at the same pitch of the roof and a few cm shy, then tile as high up the roof as you can beneath the carcassing, depending on how yours works.

We recently did one on this fella where the flattie hits the pitched....

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply, from what your saying i do the epdm then lead flashing over it then fasica over that?

Better pic

Attachments

• 20191029_143411.jpg
    20191029_143411.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 928
Thanks for your reply, from what your saying i do the epdm then lead flashing over it then fasica over that?
I was referring to the pitched roof abutment where the pitched hits the flattie. You need to get this right and get it done (up to the pint where the flat roof lead soaker is dressed onto the tiles) before you do the flat roof covering.

Always start at the lowest point. You will need to remove battens and repair felt complete with upturn, soaker, tile, abutment flash right up to where you will be level with the flattie. You will then complete the flat roof (with soaker onto the tiles) along with an upturn tray and cocking fillet going up the roof, then complete the tiling.

Your fascia can be fitted last over the pitched roof soakers. We fix a 15mm strip of OSB around the flattie, so that the roofer can tack his flat roof flashing strips to the OSB, allowing us to slot the facia up beneath his flashing....
However, you can fix the fascia prior to the flat roof being covered but after all the pitched roof stuff has been done up to level with the flattie.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to go into so much detail. Things have progressed a little bit and I think this is slightly different to how you described, I have a slight concern in whether the epdm will stick to lead?

Attachments

• 20191118_155539.jpg
    20191118_155539.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 3,444
  • 20191118_155548.jpg
    20191118_155548.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 1,957
  • 20191118_155555.jpg
    20191118_155555.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 6,849
see youtube "video's on EPDM.

the sketch above is good but not accurate enough for your situation.

determine how you intend to transition from flat roof to main roof.

your "flat roof" appears to be too flat - does it have falls? whats the ratio?

the gutter obviously needs cleaning, stop ending & fixing to falls.

have you sorted the down pipe drop(s) for the flat roof gutter?

why is your flat roof so deep?

Lost count how many videos ive seen on flat roofs and epdm, think im quite happy about how its going to be fitted its just that corner where it meets the pitched part seems a tricky detail. I'm thinking the lead needs to be cut flush with the top of the flat roof deck then epdm folds over it? But then does it need a bit of lead over the top of that?

Roof has a good fall, its 150mm joists/3" firings/18mm osb/VCL/120mm insulation/18mmOSB. Didn't actually think it was that deep! I actually left the exterior brick course higher with smaller noggins around the edge so I could have a smaller fascia.

i've just tried to describe what we would do (eg we most always use tilt angles for edging) in answer to your questions but, for me anyhow, its too complicated and would need sketches - which i dont know how to do. so i've scrubbed what i'd written.

why not contact a roofer by sending him the above thread for a heads up - and whoever accepts could come on site, and either do it their way or show you how to do it?

noseall, that works but there's only a short run of lead, & the lead would have to be nailed to the kerb.
i'd suggest flapping the EPDM over the kerb and fixing more or less as you've shown in your sketch.

OP, yes, i know about them but how long will that cushioned strip survive before allowing water through?

"dont seem to have anything" - yes, the EPDM roof does, it has custom edging pieces (or kerbs as noseall says) with the EPDM nailed to the edgings.
neither of the roofs appear to have angled tilt fillets to flow the material up the kerb upstands?
tilt fillets eliminate the 90 degree weak point.

@diybsp what solution did you go with for this? I'm in a similar situation at the moment. Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back