Knowing where the soffit stops and epdm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Can anyone show me an image of how the framing of the fascia and soffit should meet the pitched roof.
I've been told by neighbour builder that the fascia and soffit should go all the way into the roof and then lead all over that. Fact is there is an internal gable wall stopping that and it didn't sound convincing to me as he couldn't explain it...

I've also been told that the fascia and soffit finish 1inch short of the tiles of the pitched roof.
This sounds better but as the new roof is epdm it seems I am in a catch 22 as I can't secure the drip kerb without a fascia on but I can't put fascia on until I've tiled or finished the pitched roof.

A saddle was suggested by another posted but it's a 6m wide dormer up to the ridge tile.

Wher can I get this information of does anyone have images onto explain?

Image of house is not my dormer but shows the part I am trying to explain at the ridge/cheek/fascia junction

Other image of gable end tiles and ridge is where I'm at with mine except the fascia will come further in. Currently the soffit will be aprox 6 inches before counter battens and plain tiles

Thanks again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 356
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The fascia on the dormer would be cut just short of a lead saddle which would have been fitted before or just after the fascia depending on when the roofer arrived. the fascia doesn't go into the roof.
The neighbour is a wonker

The fascia and soffit goes all the way into the roof in Scotland, a concealed lead gutter runs up the side of the dormer cheek before the cheek is clad... soffit and facing fitted and a lead saddle over the top.

Sponsored Links
I think we are talking about different detailing here! i keep forgetting sarking boards are rarely used south of the border making a concealed gutter as opposed to soakers impracticle.

Rarely, yes but not unheard of. Secret gutters are fairly common , Soakers are common which if fitted correctly work on a boarded roof just as they do on a battened roof.
The problem arises when soakers are located incorrectly.

We will be sticking with cutting fascia short with lead saddles and or soakers underneath .
Bowizi simply needs to finish his tiling up to the top of the flat roof dress a 450 x 450 lead saddle on each internal corner
fit fascia cut short of the saddle then drip batten then fit the epdm. The pictures don't show quite enough detail to mark up and repost

Thanks datarebel, although I am not completely clear.
Today I removed the bedded verge tiles and hope that I can re do this with soakers when I get to that bit.
Because the new dormer cheek took out the gable side furthest rafter from the old pitched roof - (instead of doubling up the rafter I built up from new floor joist) - it gave me a problem of not being able to fix any battens on the cavity wall. Here is a picture of what am trying to build, ignore triangle window as not happening and was just a flight of fancy :-/
Also picture taken today of gable end but not up to the ridge I'm afraid.
If you can sketch anything roughly then I might get the picture as it were. :)
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 299
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 288
screw some timber board to the brickwork.
think about how you are finishing your verges..
will get back to you...

dorm123.jpg Here is one on a current roof strip . Ignore the fact that there is a valley to the dormer pitched roof.on This one there is n saddle just a corroded zinc soaker.
In your case I suggest a saddle over the fascia..

Thanks. Mine is a flat roof dormer but maybe that makes no difference.
I may be struggling because I'm dumb but i think also as i have no tiles above dormer and a large sofit depth of 6 inches. I took some pictures and will attach so its a better view of what it looks like currently.
The blue batten is what i plan connecting the short length tile battes to as there is now no rafter. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_1064.JPG
    DSC_1064.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC_1063.JPG
    DSC_1063.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC_1062.JPG
    DSC_1062.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 279
yes it makes no difference that the picture is a pitched roof dormer. just pretend you can not see the tiles above the fascia.
yours is nearly there, the batten on the brickwork i feel is a bit flimsy. go for some 18mm ply with underlay, counter batten and then the tile batten.

Thanks.
The replacment of gable cavity wall will hopefully be done today and the batten will go in the top, flush with the cavity wall top, but i may also fix ply to that like you said . The batten will be strapped underneath and on to the bricks in a few places also.
If you get any more pictures then it will be useful.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back