Flat roof coverings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm helping a friend on a big self build at the moment and as part of the roof there is steel ring beam and area of approx 30m sq flat roof to keep the ridge height down.

There is a big main ridge sloping down to the flat roof then hips from it down to the front and rear. Here is a poor diagram as if you were at the front of the house at sofit level.

.___/\
. / \

The flat roof will be inaccesible so butyl or any other product needing maintenence is out. Anyone got any recommendations? Its a nice big million pound house so he's looking for lowest maintainence and highest quality. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Butyl needs maintenance?

All flat roofs should be inspected annually if possible and swept/cleaned as necessary

But I'm becoming a fan of EPDM, which does not need maintenance.

If this guy is so well off why hasn't he got the designer to specify the most appropriate type of cover for the location?

Yes, lol - that's how they get rich and stay rich!

I must be too generous :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Cheers for replies, not so much for the money comments i just mentioned the budget because to be able to help i thought that may be one of your questions!
Anyway he's a builder but retired a few years ago and so isn't up on the latest flat roofing products and also is an old traditionalist with normal pitched roofs on most of his houses, but as i mentioned in passing a planning constraint forced this to keep height down.

When i said maintenence i meant held down with ballast which needed cleaned etc.

As you might imagine years of building experience mixed with him being in his late sixties means he always knows better about most things!! ( i learn so much from him whether i want to or not) and thats why his architect didn't specify cause he knows what he's like. Anyway he can't use the internet so here i am looking for non salesman advice.

Would you rate EPDM over torched on felt.

Cheers

These people, 20 year insurance backed (proper insurance) systems. Its the ultimate flat roof covering, with a 50 year proven history originating in Germany.

Works out about £120 m2, insulated system, but you only fit it once.

They have an office in Ireland.

Would you rate EPDM over torched on felt.

Cheap felt is all you can compare rubber to, it cannot touch premium felts.

TBH, almost any modern cover will do. But a consideration will be whether the roof is on the wind or lee ward of the property - ie does it cop all the weather or not? Or is the roof in varying sun and shade during the day or months?

This will help decide if a premium cover or a 'standard' grade cover will suffice. Also it will determine whether an adhered or a mechanical fixed system would be better.

The most important thing though is the quality of installation, as even the best system will fail if improperly fitted.

Remember that an 18mm [ply] deck is the minimum and a 25mm deck will be best.

And good luck to your mate, he's made his money and should be enjoying it

The most important thing though is the quality of installation, as even the best system will fail if improperly fitted.

Indeed, which is why the top systems can only be fitted by licensed installers, and every element is inspected at each stage.

Hi. Once decked out incorporating drips etc. code 5 sheet lead can be used at a cost of say £180 to 200 per square m for supply and fix. This will give you longevity and virtually maintenance free. Good Luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back