Flat roof fire from torch on felt ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Being a self employed roofer who does a lot of torch on felt work i just wondered if anyone has ever set alight to a building through these methods?

Luckily i never have(touch wood) although there has been a few near misses and its something im awfuly paranoid about even after i leave for home .

Sponsored Links
if you have a hot work permit system you finish hot work 1hr before leaving site to confirm all is well before you leave :LOL:

I have got the relevant public liability cover in recent years , cant believe i started up without it for the first two years though.

Must have been mad!

The insurance still dosent stop the paranoia though , i cant imagine what it would be like having to face a homeless customer

Sponsored Links
Are you speaking from experience John ?

No, but if anyone set my house on fire through negligence, I would almost certainly take a big stick to them if they ever showed their face. ;)

As someone else said, have a policy of stopping hot working an hour before finishing time. If it ain't gone up in an hour, it's unlikely to go up after an hour.

Issue Hot work Permit in the form of a Method statement always finish hot works at least an hour before leaving site so you can fire watch, of course have fire fighting gear at the work place & not in the van ;)

1999 I think it was when workers reroofing the Post house hotel at Gateshead decided to go for their snap in the van, they left the tar boiler on which was on the roof.

The first anyone knew of a problem was when the service station over the otherside of the A1 rang the hotel and asked them if they knew they had a fire on the roof !

All captured on the video cameras from the service station £xx million pounds worth of damage caused, saving grace was the main water tanks on the roof ruptured which helped put the fire out but wrecked 6 floors of the hotel, the fire gutted the 6th floor but the water went through the whole lot, hotel was closed for 18 months I believe, all this happened when I was the maintenance engineer at there york hotel. I always issued hot works even if it was for painters paint stripping outside and always had someone on fire watch for minimum 1 hour after work had stopped.

Similar sad outcome at CenterParcs - Elvedon Forest - some years ago.

I guess my 5 million cover (plumbing/heating/Gas) would not be anything like enough.

DH

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7168206.stm

Did a job for a firefighter a few months back, he was one of the investigators of this fire. Hot works was the cause, the company in question only had 5mil insurance. The damage was I.R.O 40 mil.
Oops! Couldn't have happened at a worst location (Cancer hospital)

Sponsored Links
Back