Flat roof for foot traffic - currently tin coated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently acquired a home with a nearly flat roof covered with tin material. The tin is bubbled up in places and it's leaking quite badly in many places. It looks as if it's not been looked after for the past 5 or 6 years. The area also has banister rail around it and is walked upon...deck area of sorts. I'm planning to tear up the tin, check the boards under for rot, redeck if necessary, and cover with EPDM. I just wonder if EPDM is okay for foot traffic - .060 mil or .045 mil. Another thought is to leave the tin and simply recover with some brush on roofing paint or coating. I would love any suggestions or thoughts from you fine people!!

Thanks[/b]

Sponsored Links
EPDM is fine for foot traffic though if you are looking at a lot of foot traffic it would be worth looking into covering it with some sort of terracing. you may need a separating layer (300g fleece or other proprietary membrane) and you can put paving slabs down on supports or there are other opions such as Ecodeck (www.ecodeck.co.uk) which is an interlocking hardwood decking system or most EPDM manufacturers will do a self adhesive walkway tile

Sponsored Links
That is exactly the Q I was going to ask - THANKS!!

Is there any better choice apart from EPDM that is worth looking at? I will go with the ECODECK stuff it seems capable of lasting a lifetime.

Any other readers - can someone recommend a decent roofer in Lancashire/Preston area please?

Regards
Udhi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back