1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing Garage Roof

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by fatmcgav, 7 Nov 2018.

1. fatmcgav

fatmcgav

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hey there,

I'm after some advice on replacing the roof on our block-built double garage.

The existing roof appears to be constructed of Tin Corrugated sheets, which have well and truly had their time, with lots of holes all over the place.
    [​IMG]

The roof is approx 4.8m at the widest point x 6m, so just under 30m2.
    Based on rough height measurements, I put the slope at ~5 degrees, which I think is pretty shallow for most roof coverings.

The options I can see atm are:
    * Replace with new corrugated bitumen sheets, such as Onduline. However at 5degrees, I think I'm right on the edge of what the product supports, and it looks like it will require a full roof deck according to the user guide.
    * Fit an EPDM roof covering, as if I'm going to need to fit a full roof deck for corrugated sheets, I might aswell fit EPDM instead. There's also not a great deal of difference price wise (~£450 vs ~£600)

I'm hoping that once the roof sheets come off, the timbers are in a good enough condition to reuse, as whilst they look damp from what I can see, I don't think there's any rot visible.
    They've also only got to last another 5 years or so, as I'm planning on knocking the garage down for an extension within that time-frame...

So yeh, any thoughts or ideas?

2. catlad

catlad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sounds like you are after the cheapest solution which would be box profile steel sheets approx. 10' in length and are a metre wide, you can then replace them as quick as you are taking them off using timber tek screws.

3. fatmcgav

fatmcgav

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That looks like quite a good way of doing it... And good down to a 4 degrees slope, which is a bonus.... Looks pretty comparable cost wise aswell....