Flat Roof Garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a link detahced house built in the 1970s. Our front room was built with a floot roof extension so our back bedroom over looks the flat roof. The view from the roof is wonderful so I would like to create a simple roof top garden on the flat surface by adding some patio doors and some decking and chairs etc to the roof. I was wondering how much work has to be done to the flat roof before I can do this?

Sponsored Links
Firstly you may well need additional joists etc to take the extra weight as a floor (which you are proposing) needs to be stronger than a roof as it is at the moment. You'll also need to add a handrail to the edge which can be challenging from a structural and aesthetic point of view to say the least. Lastly and arguably the most important factor you'll also need planning permission. Without that your dreams are going nowhere. Is this on the front or the back of your house and if it went ahead would you be able to see into your neighbours gardens? If so its probably a no-no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back