Pitched Roof Design with a Flat Section

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

Wondering if you could all provide some assistance and advice on a new roof that I'm having built please which is across an existing part of a kitchen and a new part which will be a new extension.

When the extension is built, the roof height will have to be reduced to clear some bedroom windows. As a result, there will be flat section followed by the pitched roof to clear the bedroom windows.

This is what the roof looks like that the moment :

rem.jpg

And this is what it will look like when the new extension is built:

rnm.jpg

As mentioned, there will be a flat section to clear the bedroom windows:

rfs.jpg

My builder has raised a couple of questions, which may have been overlooked initially, because there is a question mark over how the flat section will be supported because from within the kitchen the ceiling section will be open and not a flat ceiling

At the moment, the only solution is to change the roof pitch to eliminate the flat section however I was wondering if there are any other options?

Speaking with another carpenter, they suggested the following type of design which means taking away some of the openness of the ceiling from the inside but it may be our only solution.

prnfs.jpg

Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Who the hell designed you a roof that can not be built? Or did not actually detail how to build it? Why not refer back to them and get them to earn what you paid them

The roof can be built as shown, by including a false hip beam and possibly a double rafter to the side elevation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back