Flat roof joists in the way for ducting to pass through

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Victorian property has a flat roof side extension for the kitchen. The kitchen ceiling is in part under the original property and in part under the flat roof. A long RSJ props up the original wall of the house.

We are going to fit a ceiling extractor above a new kitchen island.

The challenge is to find the optimal exit point for the ducting. The fan housing is 300 x 300 x 200. so fits snugly with a gap of aprox. 60mm around two sides. The housing can be rotated to move the extraction output.

It's diameter is 150mm and I plan to reduce to 125mm.

extraction-2-jpg.220248

Luckily there is a void above the ceiling that's under the original building and there is also a gap of approx. 40mm below the steel due to there being two layers of plasterboard, only one of which will be required.

extraction-1-jpg.220247

My thinking is to reduce to 225*39 flat channel ducting and squeeze this underneath the RSJ into the void. Then go as high as I can with 125mm ducting and then connect back into a flat channel that ends up in an air brick.

extraction-3-jpg.220249

My concern is the limited space around the fan housing.

My question therefore is whether I can move one of the joists? Here my concern is that the roof lantern adds weight to the flat roof and I am now hanging a fan off that.

Having said that, the joist is only approx. 400mm long.

The other question is whether i can/should remove one of the joists and connect like this

loft_hatch_7.gif

So - any advice here would be much appreciated! Fan dimensions below.

Faber-heaven-compact-ev8xa90-3.jpg

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...-extractor-installation.562665/#ixzz6kefa8NGb

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The outlet of the fan at 150mm dia gives you a cross sectional duct area of 0.0177m2. If you transform that down to a rectangular section at 225mmx39mm (assuming those are the internal dimensions which they're not but would be even smaller) that gives you a cross sectional duct area of 0.0088m2. That's half the size of the fan outlet. You'll have significantly compromised the flow rate by doing that.

Sponsored Links
As for Thanks everyone and sorry for not replying - I didn't get any alerts. As for ducting up and out, sadly there just isn't enough space above, so I'm running 204 x 60 flat ducting in the false ceiling and then out of the side of the garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back