Flat roof pooling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just has a new flat roof installed, chippy done the the structure but obviously didn't do the ferrings properly. He has now done a runner and can't get hold of him.

The roofer said he only installed the felt so not his fault as the chippy didn't install properly.

What can i do with this as water is pooling on the roof?

Attachments

• IMG_1311.jpg
    IMG_1311.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 397
Sponsored Links
Rav M, good evening.

Which way was the intended fall in the roof?

Is the run off on the left hand side of the posted image?

Ken.

Rav M, good evening.

Which way was the intended fall in the roof?

Is the run off on the left hand side of the posted image?

Ken.

Hi Ken,

Its meant to fall toward the sky dish at the end of the roof towards the building with the yellow bricks if that makes sense

You may be able to adapt part of the edge to lower the felt and allow the pool to drain.

Otherwise it will have to wait until the next re-cover

Sponsored Links
You may be able to adapt part of the edge to lower the felt and allow the pool to drain.

Otherwise it will have to wait until the next re-cover

Can i add more layers to build up a slope or will that not work?

as above,
you could re-jig atthe edging strip where it falls into the gutter.
what is the bump at the edging strip?why is it ther? besides the fall/furring problem its daming the water thats poolin .
the top felt layer has been laid in the wrong direction - cap layers go across te roof not down it.

the right hand layer that runs up the parapet abutment looks like EPDM - maybe i'm wrong?
how was the felt fixed - is it self adhesive?
why the stone pieces sittin on the right hand edging/parapet - thats dangerous.

as above,
you could re-jig atthe edging strip where it falls into the gutter.
what is the bump at the edging strip?why is it ther? besides the fall/furring problem its daming the water thats poolin .
the top felt layer has been laid in the wrong direction - cap layers go across te roof not down it.

the right hand layer that runs up the parapet abutment looks like EPDM - maybe i'm wrong?
how was the felt fixed - is it self adhesive?
why the stone pieces sittin on the right hand edging/parapet - thats dangerous.

Theres not a edging strip that i am aware of maybe where it is wrapped around the ply and underlay and created a slight bump.
There is no EPDM all felt was all torched on.
There is coping stone on the top which is to be fitted still

Can i add more layers to build up a slope or will that not work?
No. If you are thinking of adding layers to the dipped area, all that will do is hold the water further back up the roof.

The roof deck is dipped and is the problem. You can't solve that with layers, but as a bodge you might be able to drain that area at the edge with some work on the felt and deck.

OP, thanks for the reply.
thats a very neat torch on job then but wrong - no squeeze out asphalt compound can be seen. sqeeze out should typicly be seen .
does the left side of your photo show your roof joining with a neighbors flat roof to the left?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back