Is this pooling acceptable on new flat roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
74cb7161-6ea9-4087-9c80-0a2c431243e5.jpeg
d8d9ceb0-e881-4447-a645-b3e4641a8e83.jpeg
457778fd-a6c3-4092-af1e-238ced051f2f.jpeg
I had my flat roof completely re-done a few weeks ago. Stripped down to the joists. New boards and 3x layers of felt. Then it rained and this happened. The roofer said pooling is normal but I’m worried that there are lots of joins in the felt that could open up and there is such a lip on the outlet water will never drain. Could I get your thoughts? The roofer wasn’t very pleasant to deal with so am nervous to call him.

Attachments

• fbb42fe9-8b33-4980-8d78-8eb92cddf81d.jpeg
    fbb42fe9-8b33-4980-8d78-8eb92cddf81d.jpeg
    368.5 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
flat roofs should have a fall of 1 in 40 the reason is because that allows for undulations and felt overlaps.

So a little bit of pooling locally upto say 3-5mm depth is acceptable.

What you have is more like 12mm - that’s wrong

the chute should not have a step in it - and it looks to me like it doesn’t have a proper overhang where it discharges into the gutter or hopper

Thanks. Yes the pooling is around 15mm deep. So I don’t think evaporation is going to get rid of that much water so it’s going to sit there.

Sponsored Links
View attachment 331163View attachment 331164View attachment 331165I had my flat roof completely re-done a few weeks ago. Stripped down to the joists. New boards and 3x layers of felt. Then it rained and this happened. The roofer said pooling is normal but I’m worried that there are lots of joins in the felt that could open up and there is such a lip on the outlet water will never drain. Could I get your thoughts? The roofer wasn’t very pleasant to deal with so am nervous to call him.
I love the fact that they thought it a good idea to place a raised obstacle right at the outlet. FFS... :confused:

Horriffic lead-work too. Morons.

Yes how is the water ever meant to get out?
So you think I should contact the roofer? Bit nervous as he's probably not going to be that receptive considering he's adamant he's done a good job. Uurgh. So frustrating when you pay a lot of money for a bad job.

Yes how is the water ever meant to get out?
So you think I should contact the roofer? Bit nervous as he's probably not going to be that receptive considering he's adamant he's done a good job. Uurgh. So frustrating when you pay a lot of money for a bad job.
I crouch down and eyeball my outlets to make sure there is consistent fall, even where the outlet passes over the masonry. FFS, these guys couldn't even spot the Alps, right in front of the outlet!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back