Flat Roof Repair Advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our flat roof was done about 4 years ago and we noticed a "house shaking" noise about a month ago. It happened about 2 or 3 times, but we had no idea what it was. After being away for a few days, we recently came back to notice that the corner of the flat roof had peeled and rolled back on itself, like the corner of a napkin. The area along the edge extends for about 5 or 6 feet from the corner on each edge and was rolled back upon itself. I flopped it back down to flat and pulled it up about a foot each way for the attached picture. Would someone be able to advise me, if this is a DIY fix or will it require a professional contractor, along with any tips or estimates on either. Thank you!
20160414_191655.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The noises you heard were typical for the poorly bonded covering struggling to free itself, so to speak. Moisture had got under the covering and heat expansion and contraction at night were causing the noise.
I'd suggest that all the roof covering and edging trim must be removed.
Notice the rusty nail(?) heads in the metal trim and in the field of OSB panels. Trim and OSB should be screwed down to a nailing schedule not any old how.
Do you have a definite flat roof fall to a drip edge or gutter?

Best bet is a new professional flat roofer. Ask about the various new materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back