Flat roof torch on laying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am required by my insurance company to have a bi annual roof inspection of any flat roof for my buildings insurance, this should be performed by a competent roofer.

A flat roof torch on underlay has been laid across the roof, rather that down, which I understand is required as a standard practice (is BS 8217 2005 the relevant standard ?, and should that be followed to the letter, and which direction does that state ?), the mineral cap will be staggered, but run across also, however I am getting conflicting opinions as to whether it should be across or down, and whether it should be cross bonded or not.

Could any competent roofers, please comment on whether if you were paiod to write a report for a standard flat roof inspection for insurance purposes you would write a critical report if you found that the torch on layers had been laid across, rather than down.

My thinking is to run across, starting at the bottom, with top layer run in same direction, over lapped, but top layer not cross bonded.

Any comments appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
There can be more than one direction of fall on the same flat roof... makes a mockery of starting at the bottom .

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back