Flat warm roof – how to make deep drip look right

oly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Using a warm roof (120mm Cellotex), combined with trying to align painted fascia, guttering and internal ceiling height gives me a very deep 'drip' or eaves to the flat roof – around 270mm. I know this may look clumsy.

The diagram shows what I am dealing with.

I could add a section of tiled roof to the edge (as you see on some 'orangery' type buildings), but I'd probably rather not for other aesthetic reasons (it gives a somewhat cottagey look that I'm not sure it would look right with the rest of the house). I also can't go for a parapet wall as it would bring the eaves height to above my permission.

So, I wonder if anyone has found a successful way of treating/disguising deep flat roof eaves?

[/img]

Sponsored Links
We are doing one at the mo' and it was covered yesterday afternoon, so even I haven't seen the finished product.

I will post a photo but below is the first design draft. The latter drawing which showed a more elaborate eaves insulation design i.e. with celotex going right to the underside of the deck is now in the hands of B.C.

We are doing one at the mo' and it was covered yesterday afternoon, so even I haven't seen the finished product.

I will post a photo but below is the first design draft. The latter drawing which showed a more elaborate eaves insulation design i.e. with celotex going right to the underside of the deck is now in the hands of B.C.

That's clever, I'd thought of trying something like this myself, thinking that the stepped-back level would be invisible from some angles and possibly fool the eye from others, great to see you are trying it and I'd be very interested to see how it comes out.

Incidentally, I opted for 120mm insulation on top rather than on-top and between, because I reckoned the extra 20mm wasn't significant but saved a lot of hassle. 120mm on top satisfies B.C.

Good luck and thank you.

Sponsored Links
Incidentally, I opted for 120mm insulation on top rather than on-top and between, because I reckoned the extra 20mm wasn't significant but saved a lot of hassle. 120mm on top satisfies B.C.
That is precisely what we have done. You may have noticed the highlighted zones on the drawing and one was a query to the architect over this very thing. Great minds eh! You will need some long screws though!!

Why not just cut the joists in half after they have gone over the support, that way you can bring the brickwork up and have a much smaller fascia.

Why not just cut the joists in half after they have gone over the support, that way you can bring the brickwork up and have a much smaller fascia.

Thanks – great idea, unfortunately I cannot do this as it would then not align with existing lean-to roofed extension I am building off.

Some more photos of the dropped section being built....
I will post a final piccy of the roof felted in later today.

Even without the top insulation, it seems that 'step' is going to really work well – doing a great job of disguising the depth of the flat roof – many thanks for posting these pics.

I can see it working but it looks overly complicated.
A bit of a faff I must admit, but not too much of a chore.

I'll post some piccies of the flatty all felted up...if I remember to take some that is!:cool:

The whole roof has been a tough one, which we are just lath and felting in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back