Flatbed microwaves

Sponsored Links
We had a Philips in the 80s that didn't have a turntable. I don't remember it being any better or worse than a turntable type.

Got a Panasonic one, had it a year or 2. Can't fault it in any way. I very much prefer it over a turntable one.

My mate DJ jizzy jazz preferred the turntable.

Sponsored Links
I've both; one flatbed built into a steam oven and one standalone turntable. Flatbed is more practical, IMHO, though the turntable one (1000W) is much faster/more aggressive at heating than the flatbed (900W). I don't know if this is a consequence of the design, if the extra metalwork (the rails, grilles and trays in the oven) has an effect or if Siemens were just telling porkies about the 900W part; it seems more like 750.

Never heard of a flatbed microwave until this thread, but I can see one benefit: square dinner plates are too big to turn in a turntable microwave (even the big booger that I bought recently).

Anyone use one, if so, any better than one with a turntable? After a new microwave, preferably one with a stainless interior.
Combi microwaves (with a grill and/or fan oven as well as the microwave) that I have bought always have stainless interiors, which I prefer, though I have seen some models with enamelled steel.

If funds permit, I find a combi much handier, it gives you an extra small oven for cooking, but you can also use it as a keep-hot or a plate-warming oven. Mine is at face height so easier to use than the grill on the cooker. It is quite big and fits into a 600mm cabinet. Quite heavy.

If for some reason I didn't want the stuff to rotate I could take the turntable out. I have an idea the ones without a turntable have a wave-stirring device to reflect the waves, like a propellor.

Last edited:
I have a flatbed, 1000w, it's a semi commercial one, it was the only one I could find with simple controls - 90% of it's use is reheating stuff and 90% of that can be done with one button press. The flatbed is good for rectangular oven dishes we have and it works as well as any other we've had - without all the extras we never used.

IMG_20230328_175518542.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve had a Panasonic “non turntable” (flatbed?) for a decade.
I honestly can’t tell the difference but not having a turntable does make life easier.

At the moment we have a Panasonic slimline combi with inverter (whatever that is) I'm sure @Mottie posted a picture of his one, which looked the same. To be honest, never used it as anything other than a microwave. It had a hissy fit a few weeks ago whereby it wouldn't heat anything, the turntable would turn and it made all the usual noises, but the food came out the same temperature as it went in. It must be over 10 years old and has been brilliant, large with a 340mm turntable. It has now started working again, but we just don't trust it. I did find a Beko one-,https://www.beko.co.uk/900w-28-litre-convection-microwave-mcf28310 similar size and functions with a SS interior, but it arrived damaged and they had no more in stock. The search goes on.

At the moment we have a Panasonic slimline combi with inverter (whatever that is) I'm sure @Mottie posted a picture of his one, which looked the same. To be honest, never used it as anything other than a microwave.
Same here. Warming up dinners, warming soup, making porridge and defrosting bread/rolls. I once grilled some cheese on some already toasted bread in ours but apart from that one time, I’ve never used it as a grill, conventional or combination oven. Wouldn’t know how to. Might look into it.

00D9F1D0-6CFA-4B12-A1DA-FD456B17BBCD.jpeg

Combo was good for heating samosas from the freezer. It defrosts the insides while crisping the outside
any pastry based food, really

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back