Flex or T+E?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new boiler was connected to the existing FCU with normal flex into the flex outlet in the faceplate of the FCU. I want to bury the flex in the wall (in some conduit) so i can feed the flex into the mounting box and replace the FCU with one with a neon lamp. Do I need to replace the flex with T+E because it's in the wall?

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it was "normal" flex & not heat proof as it should be?

well let's assume it's heatproof (it was corgi reg'd installation) anyway i can tell at a glance?

You can use flexible cable as fixed wiring as long as you comply with BS7671.

Sponsored Links
The reason I asked was that you cannot use flat grey T& E to connect a boiler, if that was what you are meaning. Heat proof cable usually appears more rubbery(if thats the right word) than PVC flex.

HR flex is stiffer than normal flex. Maybe you're thinking of Butyl? The kind of thing used for immersion heaters?

Not seen it used on boilers, though.

You can use flexible cable as fixed wiring as long as you comply with BS7671.

Is this in regard to the routing of the wiring? Flex is in a conduit that drops vertically from the ceiling down the wall into the mounting box about 1ft from the boiler. no sink or cabinets on that wall, is that ok?

Yes you are right securespark it is stiffer but the outer sheath always feels different to me as well & I could not think of another way to describe it. The same as arctic. Having said that I suppose there would be nothing stopping the use of butyl apart from the price. Yes ejaz you can put it in conduit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back