Flexi tails with a combi boiler ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning again, I have read somewhere that flexi hoses on baths
and basins SHOULD NEVER be used in conjunction with a combi,due to pressure possibly. Can someone on here clear this up please,can I or can't I use flexis with a combi ?.....thanks again

Sponsored Links
Only ones that are WRAS approved and are installed correctly....personally I'd go for copper every time. I've never had one burst but I'm suspicious!
I must say the flexibles by JG Speedfit seem to be that much sturdier in construction though.
For interest, flex's are supposed to withstand 15 bar of pressure, and 65 or 70 degrees temperature depending on whether they are plastic or metal so they are well within a domestic situation.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Flexi on the hot and cold water are fine.
Not suitable for the CH flow and return.

Or the gas pipe (polish plumbers take note!)

I don't like them. Had a couple blow out. The braiding seems to have separated and then the rubber inflates like a ballon until it splits. Fortunately we were in both times, but a lot of water comes out from a one inch split. All my final connections are done the old way with copper tube now.

And if the flexis are related to your other question about new bath taps they can also reduce the flow quite bit.

The only good ones which still seem to fail much are where the mains pressure is enormous. So whenever any tap's opened, the pressure in the pipe goes from huge to zero, and back, & makes them leak from the joint at the end of the rubber. Local to me mains can be 9bar and I've seen a few widdlers.

Previous owner used a pair of flexi's on a radiator in my house, lasted the first year of the house with poor flow, no flow at all this year so remove to find a tube full of perished tube, but miraculasly no leaks.

Now done in copper.

Obviously they can fail, but they are quick and fast and I havnt heard any horror storys yet...

Daniel

Sound advice. Then along come some manufacturers who use them to connect to expansion vessels etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back