flexible conduit as an earth.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You're not allowed to rely on a flexible conduit as an earth, but why not?
it's one continuous strip of metal formed to a profile and wound into a spiral..

Sponsored Links
Possibly more to do with the gland/ end termination coming loose/adrift.
Sure years ago I see ones with an earth braid on the gland, being used for motor supplies.

Quality of connection to the gland? Reliability issues. Just a guess though.

Sponsored Links
Its commonly called copex and as rocky says, the glands are not a secure fit as they are connected by a very coarse sprial 'thread' which can easily become loose. Often used on smaller motor supplies.

I'm well aware of the connections for it conny, used it for years.. even got the rotocut for it..
and Kopex is a trade name like Adaptaflex ( which coincidentally are just down the road from each other and I've done work in both factories.. )

yes to the thermos ( and it was a thermos, not a generic one ) at Kopex, but only for the first day at Adaptaflex as their drinks machines were free and not a bad cup of coffee..
I never used a Biro.. I have a stainless parker jotter that I've had since secondary school..

Very true.

We use a lot of 20mm and 12mm flexible conduit and only ever use swivel glands.

As well as the continuity (or otherwise) at the glands, what happens once the conduit oxidises a bit, or gets painted etc.etc, insulating each 'turn' from it's neighbours?

You could still have end - to - end continuity, but via the spiral of steel tape, it would be more induction than conduction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back