Flexible hose on hob

Sponsored Links
I beleive the reg's concerning the use of a cooker hose , on a hob has changed , recently , & now the hob will be piped as a flued appliance prior to this change there was never any gas reg that did not permit the use of a cooker hose , it was alway's dependant on the circumstance's of the installation ect ect , a bit of a myth built up around the non use of a cooker hose !!! for a hob !!!

They can change as many rules as they like but if the manufacturers instructions state they can be used then the mi's over rule.

Be careful there are many flued appliances that can be piped with a flexible hose.

Its all very well saying "how many custards have the mi"s" Thats a total cop out its your job to obtain them.When i book a job in i always ask for make and model and take them with me at least there there then if need be!
Manual library £25.00 a year no excuse at least i know ive done my days work as per mi"s
and sleep easy
Paul :eek:

Sponsored Links
It is not My job to obtain MI's it is the custards job to look after the originals there are often updates on appliances and the MI's have to be re-worked to suit a particular version of the appliance, there is no gaurantee that the info in a reproduced copy from a manual library will be totally relavent to the appliance, all a good engineer needs is 1) experience, 2) Information from the appliance data plate. ;)

Mi's will always cop out anyway, should be fitted to relevant standard in accordance with........ i personally would never use a hose for a hob, rigid pipe all the way :D however the only thing i can remember is that a flued appliance cannot be connected with a flexi connection, nothing about fixed etc so you cant really mark it down, i think its all down to yet another gas reg grey area. :rolleyes:

There seems to be a lot of muddled thinking on here. This discussion should be in the CC where at least we know that everyone is gas registered.

I am probably one of the few who has been to a property where the cooker hose on the hob had caught fire and mostly destroyed the kitchen!

For those who dont know, if the rubber fails then they leak gas which fuels the fire.

Tony

Why not discuss it out in the open surely as pros you should all be singing off the same hymm sheet and going by the rules that cover it and not having to find out in the CC what you should already know

Whilst all RGIs should know how to classify this its obvious from the above that there is considerable confusion and many differing ways to deal with it.

It does not look good for the public to see this and it undermines their confidence in our professionalism.

Just because someone has a copy of the MI it does not mean that is the latest version or that a recall has not subsequently been made.

Tony

Why not discuss it out in the open surely as pros you should all be singing off the same hymm sheet and going by the rules that cover it and not having to find out in the CC what you should already know

Totally agree.

The public should know that the rules are vast and varied and people interpret them differently.I think its not intentional by some to confuse customers but its through their lack of proper training and experience within the gas industry that this happens.

As for Tony saying we should all know how to classify it lets take the statement from the BS for cookers and see what they say.

11.1.3 A gas hob shall be connected to the termination point by means of rigid pipework or, unless stated
otherwise in the manufacturer’s instructions, a flexible connector and self-sealing plug device conforming
to BS 669-1."

So MI's always rule and will never cop out,the british standard backcs MI's that allow a flexible hose.

We all know now where we stand.

As for items being fixed and flued,a built in oven would be classed as fixed and can have a flexible connector.
I could name verious flued appliances that are allowed and expected to be connected via a flexiable gas connection.

so the end of the day,just because someone once told you something doesnt mean its right. As gas engineers you have the documents to do your job,use them.Dont make things up because it fits and you can earn a couple of quid.

As for Tony saying we should all know how to classify it lets take the statement from the BS for cookers and see what they say.

11.1.3 A gas hob shall be connected to the termination point by means of rigid pipework or, unless stated
otherwise in the manufacturer’s instructions, a flexible connector and self-sealing plug device conforming
to BS 669-1."

As for items being fixed and flued,a built in oven would be classed as fixed and can have a flexible connector.
I could name verious flued appliances that are allowed and expected to be connected via a flexiable gas connection.

To me the situation is totally clear that in any normal situation a hob needs a rigid gas connection.

I refused to give a CP12 for a flat where the father was going to connect the hob with a flexible hose. That wasted my time as I was not going to be paid. I had to go later to repair the boiler for the tenant and saw the hob as installed by the father but I never knew if anyone had done a CP12.

Having seen what can happen with a flexible hose in a fire I would never give a CP12 in that case until its been corrected.

I had though that "flexible" and "flexiable" were the same thing and that one was just spelt wrongly ( like the heading of this topic ). Am I wrong?

Tony

As usual tony you only read and highlight the bit that helps you,rather than the whole sentance.it would be just as normal to connect using a hose under some not so uncommon circumstance.most jobs still state you can fit using a hose.but as boiler repair man you wouldn't know this.

As for you deciding whether to issue a cert,if you don't and you don't get paid that's your choice but don't come and moan about it.the guy may have been right to fit a hose but just because you wouldn't doesn't mean it's wrong.the last time I looked it wasn't agile services that wrote the stanards,the regs or the instructions.your disregtard for them and your thoughts of being above them to the point where they are irrelevent to you are well noted on this forum,so it's no surprise from a man that wasn't on the register,to think his way is always correct.

No wonder you wish to hide some of your stuff in the cc.

I dont know why you are being so negative Lee.

You know as well as I do that its VERY unusual for any commonly available hobs to permit a flexible hose in their MI. Can you name any from B&Q or Wickes etc. ?

I was prepared to overlook the fact that the hob did not have any FFD and class that as NCS on the CP12.

Tony

You know as well as I do that its VERY unusual for any commonly available hobs to permit a flexible hose in their MI. Can you name any from B&Q or Wickes etc. ?

I was prepared to overlook the fact that the hob did not have any FFD and class that as NCS on the CP12.

Tony

do you read any of your stuff back before you post it?

i really hope someone is pulling this **** up about this kind of nonsense in the CC.

Tony

having just read hotpoints instructions for gas hobs,they allow the use of a flexible hose as long as its not longer than 2000mm and meets the current standards for a hose.

The bit about FFD on hobs,you need to go back to gas school.

Cookers/hobs in a multi occupency building(flats/appartments) require that all NEW cooking appliances have FFD's,existing appliances can be seen as NCS.

Theres nothing to overlook under the real standards and GIUSP but in your own little rule book maybe things are completely different.

Youve just proved my erlier point about you being above and beyond everyone else.Sorry you see it as negative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back