FlexVent working?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Possibly someone can help with a couple of queries about air vents. I'll include the background and give as much info as possible so my newbie questions have a context..

I've had a problem with my central heating for a few years (since I bought the house). When it's been running for a while I get an extremely loud banging noise and water gushes into the feed expansion box (and out of the overflow).

I had the system looked at a few times and had the pump and cylinder replaced to no avail, the most recent plumber advised I fit vented elbows on the pipes going in and out of the boiler.. So I fitted a couple of Flamco Flexvent Automatic Air Vents like this one: http://www.anergy.co.in/products/catalogue/prod_images/airvent.jpg
The pipes going in/out of the boiler are 22mm with a right angle a few inches above the boiler. I installed a 22mm X 22mm X 15mm Copper Reducing Tee on each with each vent on the end of a short vertical 15mm pipe (one has a U shaped kink to get around the other 22mm pipe which runs above the tee piece).

But I still have the problem.. that's the background here's my questions:

The vent packaging said to turn the cap one rotation prior to refilling the system, I assumed this referred to the red plastic cap on top and did so on both vents. I assume I leave this loose for air to escape from. Is this correct and is there a simple way to tell (apart from waiting for the banging!) if air is coming out of the vent?

I have since read up on how the vents work and it seem to me that having one on the pipe taking water into the boiler is just going to suck air in, in which case I should shut of the vent on the water into boiler pipe. Am I correct in this?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Dabbler12

Sponsored Links
I hope your plumber is better than my impression from your post. It would be hard to be worse.

The problem is boiling in the boiler. For heaven's sake please what boiler it is!! Trying to get rid of the "air" is pointless you need to stop it banging. I guess (since you haven't said) this is a heavy, oldish boiler, and may well be an oil boiler.

You need to descale the boiler, powerflushing the system would be a good idea, but first service the boiler, and if it's bad and it's oil, it'll take a couple of hours, any faster, don't pay!!

Once the boiler is descaled adding some boiler silencer will reduce the noise over a few months, it won't be instant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back