Flickering lights throughout the house - help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So for the past two days I have experience flickering lights throughout the house. It is not constant but happens enough to notice it and it literally does it as a one off blink every so often (which is completely sporadically rather than in a particular pattern).

No new lighting fixtures or electrical appliances have been added inside the house. At first I thought it was the ring for the ground floor lighting circuit but it actually happens throughout the house. Electrical appliances are not affected, however when I connected an plug powered uplighter, it also does the same.

Am I right in thinking this is likely to be a power line issue or could a faulty electric item cause this (even if it is not powered and is switched off?).

Sponsored Links
It is unlikely to be caused by a faulty appliance.

What you describe is symptomatic of a bad joint. It could be caused by a bad connection within you installation or on the supply network to your property.

I would advise that you have your installation checked without delay by an electrician. If there is a loose connection, left alone it could cause a fire. The electrician will either repair the fault or prove it is happening externally to your property, in which case you can then get in touch with the electricity distribution network operator for your area and ask them to repair the fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back