Flitch Plate-In plain English please

Using their loads a 152x152x23 UB will do easily.

Or a 12x225 flitch (~21kg/m) and 2 47x225mm timber
I don't know how he got that load, I have a conservatory roof I want to make part flat roof Part pitch, flat roof 5310 wide x 1440 deep, Pitch or slopping part, 3m projection with light weight conservatory tiles and 2 flat roof domes 600 x 600.

Sponsored Links
I don't know how he got that load, I have a conservatory roof I want to make part flat roof Part pitch, flat roof 5310 wide x 1440 deep, Pitch or slopping part, 3m projection with light weight conservatory tiles and 2 flat roof domes 600 x 600.
Also, have you got a drill that will take 17/18mm bits for the 16mm bolts specified? Prob. not, so you would need to get the plate drilled by the supplier = more ££.
Why not just get a steel beam and stop all this nonsense with a flitch beam???

Also, have you got a drill that will take 17/18mm bits for the 16mm bolts specified? Prob. not, so you would need to get the plate drilled by the supplier = more ££.
Why not just get a steel beam and stop all this nonsense with a flitch beam???
I would I need to know the size I need, I have to find another SE or maybe someone here can advise me.

Sponsored Links
You can put smaller bolts in you might might need more.
The 'SE' who has done the cals has spent all of 30 seconds on it and not even looked at what it has superbeam has produced, ask for your money back or get them to calc a usable alternative.

You can put smaller bolts in you might might need more.
The 'SE' who has done the cals has spent all of 30 seconds on it and not even looked at what it has superbeam has produced, ask for your money back or get them to calc a usable alternative.
I did, he say he stand by his calculations, refuse to redo or refund

I did, he say he stand by his calculations, refuse to redo or refund
The problem is that there can be many solutions, all of which could be proved 'correct' (ie they will not fail structurally) in civil litigation.
But that is not 'engineering' in its true sense, which involves tailoring the solution to the resources available, be they materials, labour, skills, time, access etc.
As your loading seems relatively light, and the span 5+ m, deflection is probably the critical factor in your case. As suggested by tomfe, a 6"x6"x23 could well do, or an 8"x4". Either of those would be a lot less hassle than the flitch beam.

The problem is that there can be many solutions, all of which could be proved 'correct' (ie they will not fail structurally) in civil litigation.
But that is not 'engineering' in its true sense, which involves tailoring the solution to the resources available, be they materials, labour, skills, time, access etc.
As your loading seems relatively light, and the span 5+ m, deflection is probably the critical factor in your case. As suggested by tomfe, a 6"x6"x23 could well do, or an 8"x4". Either of those would be a lot less hassle than the flitch beam.
Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back