Floating solid wood floor vs. Engineered floor

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi folks,

When researching the different types of flooring - the main differences between solid wood floors and engineered wood floors are typically described as follows:
- Solid wood floors need to be nailed/glued to a wooden substrate
- Solid wood floors may cup/warp over time
- Engineered boards can't be refinished as often

However, when looking at products, I see that there are many click together solid wood floors that can be installed as a floating floor, just like engineered boards.

So, for the same price, why would I choose an engineered board over a click together solid wood board, assuming I want to install a floating floor?

Is the only difference that the solid wood board may cup/warp over time (even if it is click together?)

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You can't float a real solid wood floor. They have to be glued down or secret nailed.
Some Compmays call them solid wood on the packs but they aren't.

The solid expands more then a engineered so could end up coming apart.
That's what I was told on 2 wood flooring courses.
But if it says it's ok on the pack it might be ok.

Sponsored Links
I agree with Daz I wouldn't risk it, I'm sure over time it would come apart

Here is the product (see attached image). You can see (if you look closely) that the installation method is "Pose Flotante - Clic (plus facile)".

You can see that the boards are solid wood and are designed to click together without glue.

Also, here is a link to similar products:

http://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/produits/carrelage-parquet-sol-souple/parquet-stratifie-et-plancher/parquet-contrecolle-et-massif-l1308217050?pageTemplate=Famille/Carrelage,+parquet+et+sol+souple&resultOffset=0&resultLimit=50&resultListShape=PLAIN&nomenclatureId=17321&priceStyle=CAPACITYUNIT_PRICE&fcr=1&*13460=13460&*17321=17321&*24886=24886&*4294687484=4294687484&*4294961224=4294961224#result-wrapper

Attachments

• File 15-03-2016 09 37 20 (Medium).jpeg
    File 15-03-2016 09 37 20 (Medium).jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 258
Actually if you read the reviews of some of those products on LeroyMerlin.fr (using Google translate :) ) you can see that many people have had problems with swelling. The only 5-star review I can see is from a guy that glued them down. I'm thinking perhaps with Elasilon they could work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back