Flooding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What did Maggie say ?
"...Prime minister Margaret Thatcher, talking to Women's Own magazine, October 31 1987

"I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it. 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour..."

What about 'If i live on a potential flood plane - the Gov' will implement a statute which means Insurers may add additional cost to ALL Policies regarding home insurance.'

So Maggie, you seem to have been wrong - not the first time.

I don't wanna pay for Northerners to skip their responsibilities to themselves, never mind others.

Why should I pay for the mistakes of house buyers ?

-0-

Sponsored Links
Not just Northerners, I must add. What about the flood plains of Somerset? Weren't they in the news last year?

However, I tend to agree. I wouldn't buy a house on a flood plain, at least without sufficient protection.

On the other hand, the authorities did put in place what they thought were adequate provisions after the last great floods in Cumberland a few years ago. Unfortunately, they turned out to be inadequate probably because they spent as little as they thought would do.

It's the same lack of foresight (and unwillingness to invest in the future) when it comes to motorways. The M60 is currently being 'worked on' (although I have yet to see anyone actually working) to convert the hard shoulder to a 'smart' lane. This has been going on for months now with the inevitable traffic jams. This activity may ease traffic congestion for a few months (once it's finished), but then soon afterwards we'll be back to how we are now.

Why not increase both carriageways by two lanes (and a hard shoulder)? Money.

Why not create flood barriers much higher than the present need? Money.

Why should I pay for the mistakes of house buyers ?

-0-
Same with motor insurance. Apparently, if there were no uninsured drivers, our premiums would be considerably cheaper.

Same with Feed In Tariffs for those with solar panels on their houses. It's not the electricity companies paying them the FIT, It's the rest of us. (look it up)

Totally agree with you sentiments empip, but we're all paying for something (one way or another) that we shouldn't be paying for.

I hated having to pay for six oak trees, which wouldn't have blown down if they'd been the tougher northern variety.

Bloody southern Jessie's.

Sponsored Links
Totally agree with you sentiments empip, but we're all paying for something (one way or another) that we shouldn't be paying for.
Like little brown babies in Africa.

It's called obligation.
The CSA are bastids if u don't pay.
;)

I found out the hard way.
Received an email from a Nigerian hottie thanking me for a wonderful night. I couldn't remember her, nor going to Nigeria but I must have as she knew my name and email address.
Imagine the shock when she informed me I'd become a dad.
The biggest shock was an email from the Nigerian CSA demanding I pay £75 per week backdated 2 years.:0

I paid, naturally.

Shouldn't the D.E.C. be paying for this or doesn't disaster apply at home?

Depressing thing to happen to anyone at this time of year, if it's not crminals trying to steal your house it's mother nature

I have no problem with the government helping these people. When there is a disaster abroad they fall over themselves to be the first to dish out the readies, so why not at home?

When the climate alarmists warn of flooding and it happens in spite of there having been no warming for several years, I put two and two together. Likely cause, failure to maintain waterways.

The climate has been changing for thousands of years.

Unfortunately, the world's worriers have cottoned on and discovered something to be 'concerned' about, with the result that we're suddenly seeing forests of ineffective windmills.

Sponsored Links
Back