The EU Referendum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is not for me to tell you how to vote on this, but because of recent spats on here with people about Farming etc, i have picked this out from a report on the BBC news website which shows what crap the whole EU system is and how your Europian partners want you to pay even more towards the upkeep of THEIR countries.

It also shows how complete chaos there is in Labours policy to vote yes to a system and idea which even they now are having to defend safegaurds put in by Maggie Thatcher------------------------------

--- Last Updated: Wednesday, 23 March, 2005, 15:57 GMT

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

UK rebate 'unjustified' - Chirac

Mr Chirac: Attacked UK rebate
French president Jacques Chirac has called the UK's £3bn rebate from the European Union "unjustified".
Speaking after a summit meeting he said unless it was put up for discussion the EU would never be able to reach agreement on its medium term finances.

Earlier Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said the UK was prepared to veto any bid to reduce the rebate secured by Margaret Thatcher in 1984.

He said it remained justified because less EU farm money came to the UK.

Mr Chirac told reporters in Brussels: "One can only have a reasonable budgetary balance if we put back on the table the British cheque. It can no longer be justified. It was from the past."

But a UK Government official responded: "Even with the rebate, the UK pays two and a half times more than France contributes to the EU budget. Without it we would pay 14 times as much as France.

Note how much BRITAIN PAYS FOR ALL THE OTHERS AND THEY WANT MORE OF YOUR TAX MONEY----YOUR HARD EARNED TAX MONEY-----THEY WANT YOU TO GO TO WORK TO KEEP PAYING FOR THEM

Sponsored Links
VAT is next. They are after our upping it to 20%, possibly in the Autumn budget, after the election. Apparently part of the EU tax harmonisation plans. Funny how nothing ever gets harmonised downwards though.

It will be interesting to see if they keep Tone out of the way during the EU voting. Lets face it, if he comes out with anything pro Europe people will probably disbelieve him and vote No.

I was reading this earlier.

Under proposed new spending plans unveiled by the European Commission today, the EU budget would rise to about £84 billion in 2006 and to £110 billion in 2013.

The new system would involve phasing out the UK rebate, replacing it with alternative measures. All member states, including the UK, would get a limited rebate on their contributions if those net contributions comprised more than 0.35% of national wealth. In other words, if the gap between what they paid to the EU budget and what they got back from it in grants and subsidies grew too wide.

The effect of this new spending programme would be that the UK’s net contribution to the budget would virtually double.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4301712

All this and still no audited accounts produced again.

The reason being is that the lazy europeans who want to have more for working less are sucking us dry. The reason our country is doing ok is not because of labour but it is us, you and me, working our ti*s off, paying our taxes and subsidising everyone else. Thatcher was great, no-one messed around with us. Now look what is happening. Thanks Tony!! :eek:

I am really suprised, i thought there would be a lot more input than this, maybe nobody cares how much they have to pay and for what anymore.

Nothing from Richard either.

Sponsored Links
Jasy thankyou, i always believed that Britains economic success over the past 10 years was down to the public just getting on with it and not down to some arsehole political person or party.

Freddie said:
I am really suprised, i thought there would be a lot more input than this, maybe nobody cares how much they have to pay and for what anymore.

Nothing from Richard either.

Don't be suprised Freddie there are quite a few Europhiles on here. I am only guessing but I reckon a lot of people in general believe all the hype about our jobs being dependant on the EU.

Strange then David and Julie cause that wasnt my view it was copied of the BBC website lunchtime news, or is it people dont want to see the truth??????

Well freddy i am among a small band on here who believe in this country and that we are being ruined by a government who will fall over backwards for everyone else apart from the engine room of this country, the decent hard working individual. I am sick to the back teeth of reading self righteous do gooders posting on here about asylum seekers, iraq, europe when they should be supporting ideas that help us out, a dying breed.

Just been having a read about jobs in cloud EU land, nice work if you can get it I reckon.

SALARIES AND ALLOWANCES

EU employees enjoy excellent rewards. Basic salaries are increased every 2 years according to an incremental scale which is reviewed annually. The table below shows A grade salaries as at 1st July 2002 (in Euros per month).

GRADE STEPS
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A4 7.520,00 7.941,50 8.363,00 8.784,50 9.206,00 9.627,50 10.049,00 10.470,50
A5 6.199,87 6.567,17 6.934,47 7.301,77 7.669,07 8.036,37 8.403,67 8.770,97
A6 5.357,85 5.650,18 5.942,51 6.234,84 6.527,17 6.819,50 7.111,83 7.404,16
A7 4.612,02 4.841,51 5.071,00 5.300,49 5.529,98 5.759,47
A8 4.078,92 4.243,42

Grades A1, A2 and A3 are not recruited by open competition

These salaries are considerably enhanced by a package of allowances, depending on individual circumstances:

Expatriation allowance - for those working outside their own country, equal to 16% of basic salary.

Household allowance - for officials who are the principal earner in a household, equal to 5% of basic salary.

Dependent children allowance - a flat rate per month per child under 18 years of age, with provision to extend this age limit to 26 for a child receiving formal education or vocational training.

Education allowance - to cover costs incurred in respect of each dependent child from the age of 6 up to 26 if still in full-time education (varies according to the age of child).

Relocation package - various allowances and grants to meet the cost of moving house when taking up an appointment or returning to your own country.

Pension Scheme

The EU institutions operate a contributory pension scheme, with contributions of about 8.25% of basic salary. The maximum retirement pension is 70% of the final basic salary for 35 years' service and proportionately less for shorter service. Staff with less than 10 years’ service do not qualify for a pension, but are entitled to a severance grant.

Health Insurance

Health insurance is provided for employees and their dependants for a maximum contribution of 1.7% of basic salary.

So 70% index linked pension, Bupa for the family and private education for the kids.

Wonder if we will all get this lot if we go Euro?

Well said Jasy.

But i have been having a think about this, if you lot on here think Europe is great and your jobs depend on it, then how come Germany and France have record unemployment and rising, their economies are down the toilet, they have to radically reform their health and welfare benefits as their countries cant afford them.

Strange innit???

Come on Richard :D

jasy said:
Well freddy i am among a small band on here who believe in this country and that we are being ruined by a government who will fall over backwards for everyone else apart from the engine room of this country, the decent hard working individual. I am sick to the back teeth of reading self righteous do gooders posting on here about asylum seekers, iraq, europe when they should be supporting ideas that help us out, a dying breed.

yo harumph harumph etc

Freddie said:
I'm on the same planet as you Freddie and others but sadly I don't let it get to me anymore because we can't do anything about or can we?

See this which is nearly year old and nothing has change now.

FWL_engineer link is not working, unless someone can make it work because is was a good reading.

masona said:
Freddie said:
I'm on the same planet as you Freddie and others but sadly I don't let it get to me anymore because we can't do anything about or can we?

See this which is nearly year old and nothing has change now.

FWL_engineer link is not working, unless someone can make it work because is was aa good reading.

OK then who's up for a revolution, we could grab Richard and hold him to ransom :LOL:

I am afraid 3 billion pounds is small change these days. How much has Iraq cost?

Are you surprised France is bellyaching about our refund? it comes out of their pocket. What would you expect the Uk government to be doing if it was the other way around? Well it used to be the other way around until Maggie handbagged the French. Now there is a bit of a squeeze and France is worried because agricultural subsidies are being cut. Which hits them.

EU salaries high? Try reading the job adverts in one of the broadsheet newspapers. Decent pensions for senior civil sevants? Aren't ours thinking of going on strike about this?

As to the european econonmy.... Doesn't anyone remember that not so long ago West Germany swallowed up east Germany? I expect their average earnings went down by 1/2 the day it happened. Huge bill they picked up and are still paying. But worth every penny to swap an enemy into a friend.

That was a good link Masona, seemed like a bit of passion in replies, would like to be able to read what started it all, surprised it did not go on longer.

Sponsored Links
Back