The EU Referendum

Come now, you have been going on about VAT on new houses for posts and posts but when I finally comment you dismiss my answer as irrelevant. Where is the logic in that?

I said, why exactly SHOULD new houses be exempt from VAT? How does that help society? Frankly, it only helps builders. There is no shortage of profit in building houses and the price of a finished house has precious little to do with the cost of building it. So why are you making a fuss defending the rights of housbuilders not to pay VAT? Like defending the rights of pleasureboat owners to get subsidised fuel?

Some people are going around moaning that the EU is forcing us to do all sorts of things. But then if it turns out that the only specific things they can name are in fact really rather sensible things to do, what is the fuss?
Complaining that the EU is encoraging us to do what we really ought to be doing anyway?

Now i would say that requiring a house to always come with a 10 year guarantee is absurd. From the increasing number of 'buy a home in France' programs it would also seem to be far from the reality. But if what is being said is that the French have building regulations which specify minimum building standards and also require a 10 year workmanship guarantee from the builder, well I do not see that as unreasonable either. I also favour longer mandatory guarantees on new cars, washing machines and televisions. We throw things away far too quickly.

Sponsored Links
Come now, you have been going on about VAT on new houses for posts and posts but when I finally comment you dismiss my answer as irrelevant. Where is the logic in that?
The logic is that your answer was about refurbishing old houses in the UK and we hadn't mentioned that. The question was clearly relating to vat on new houses only, in some EU countries, and whether harmonisation would extend that to the UK.
I said, why exactly SHOULD new houses be exempt from VAT? How does that help society? Frankly, it only helps builders.
I buy my new house from a builder for £200K no vat. Under these proposals he would have to charge vat so he would charge me £[email protected]%= £235K. Now how does that help the builder or me? Are you suggesting companies should absorb this money?
There is no shortage of profit in building houses and the price of a finished house has precious little to do with the cost of building it. So why are you making a fuss defending the rights of housbuilders not to pay VAT?
House prices are mainly dependant on land values, I have tried several times to explain that the registered company claims vat back, it is the end user, or house buyer who pays in this case. You are either to stubborn or more likely stupid to understand. Nobody else reading this is mad enough to believe they are better off paying more tax, only you.
Like defending the rights of pleasureboat owners to get subsidised fuel?
Again I said this was one example and that diesel is used in more areas than this.
Some people are going around moaning that the EU is forcing us to do all sorts of things. But then if it turns out that the only specific things they can name are in fact really rather sensible things to do, what is the fuss?
But you don't know how things will turn out yet do you? so this is another stupid comment.
Complaining that the EU is encoraging us to do what we really ought to be doing anyway?
Such as charging more taxes on heating, houses and books? Lets not forget food eventually too? Are you saying we should tax that too? how much tax do you think we should actually pay, would it be better if they people just handed over their full pay packet?
Now i would say that requiring a house to always come with a 10 year guarantee is absurd.
New houses only, the same as in the UK.
From the increasing number of 'buy a home in France' programs it would also seem to be far from the reality. But if what is being said is that the French have building regulations which specify minimum building standards and also require a 10 year workmanship guarantee from the builder, well I do not see that as unreasonable either.
See above reply.
I also favour longer mandatory guarantees on new cars, washing machines and televisions. We throw things away far too quickly.
Have you never bought a new product? Obviously your implication is the warranties should be similar to houses, presumably 10 years? Although possibly better for the environment what would it do for employment?

So to summarise. The EU will rescue us all from the evil US. Companies will absorb vat. They will also provide lengthy warranties and gladly pay extra taxes they don't have to pay in other countries. There will be better living conditions for the subjects because we will have "rights".

I would put it to you EU doesn't mean European Utopia and you should open your eyes and get real. Protectionism and over taxation cannot work forever and an imaginary market is just that. We need to trade with the whole world not have all our eggs in this basket.

I have had enough now because you are a silly person who cannot put together a logical debate. Hopefully others have seen through you too.

David and Julie-------------Damocles isnt what he says is is as he knows sod all about it or EU grants assisted schemes.

From the other points you, me and others has raised he just waffles and waffles.

He is just having a wind up and just playing with you.

My advice---just completly ignore his posts, because you are just rising to his agenda.

Yes you are right Freddie, I have no problem with a genuine chat about the EU, such as the engineer was having. However these continual ignorant and ill informed interjections are just a boring distraction. It must be very sad having no life and sitting in an anorak all the time.

He is now trying to wind people up on another thread about a terrible waste of innocent life.

A real to**er this one, hopefully he will just go away.

Sponsored Links
You do not seem to understand how the housing market works in this country. No one suddenly decides how much he wants for a piece of land, adds the cost of building and then sells. There is a market for houses and anyone planning to build a particular type of house knows exactly how much money he will get for it when it is finished.

He can never get more than the price of similar houses already built and would be pretty stupid to sell it for less. So the starting point is what it will be worth when it is finished. From that you go backwards and work out how much you can afford to pay for building it, for the land, for legal and planning, etc. I agree that VAT will come out of someones share but right now getting planning permission on a piece of land is a licence to print money. An empty field worth £2000 per acre is suddenly worth £2,000,000 per acre. The VAT would most likely come out of this share, but it would be spread about.

The upshot of this is that if you did put VAT on housebuilding it would be unlikely to put up the price of new houses much if at all. What is the sense of subsidising house building speculators?

It would seem Freddie that I know rather more about farm subsidies and taxation than you do.

You guys still have not given any examples where the EU changes you have been moaning about would hurt anyone.

My anorak is nice and warm if slightly mud splashed. How is yours?

Back