Floodlight positioned near boiler flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old PIR flood light sensor would always activate whenever my combi boiler switches on and exhaust hot air.

I am now relocating my boiler but I'm also putting in a new sensor light within a short distance of the new flue.

Are there any new developments in security light sensors which would prevent it activating whenever it detects heat from the boiler flue as I am looking to buy a new one?

Sponsored Links
you can get microwave as well as pir now, how they work i dont know

Can anyone confirm if microwave PIR sensors will prevent false triggers if heat is thrown out of the boiler four?

Sponsored Links
Microwave sensors do not react to heat / IR so the boiler will not trigger them.
However anything that moves will, so expect trees, bushes, cats, foxes, patio umbrella, and so on.
They also work through windows, doors and even some thin walls.

The real answer is to relocate the sensor.

Sensor relocation is not possible as the boiler flue is near the rear door that I'm looking to cover with the security light. It will be facing a shared drive way so no issues with trees. Cats/foxes yes maybe.

How does it detect someone through a wall?

I'm impressed by your determination to ensure that the burglar always has enough light to work by.

Sensor relocation is not possible as the boiler flue is near the rear door that I'm looking to cover with the security light.
Sensors and lights are two separate items, and generally work far better if they are not integrated into a single device.

It will be facing a shared drive way
Sensors are designed to detect movement across the view of the sensor, rather than directly towards or away from it, so as usual, a light with a sensor in the same place is not the best solution.

I'm impressed by your determination to ensure that the burglar always has enough light to work by.

What a stupid comment.

Do you think the use of lights are only to facilitate burglars and never householders as they approach or leave a property? And of course, shining a bright light (that faces a highway) is worse than a dark spot with the burglar not needing a torch or using a small pen light.

Sensors and lights are two separate items, and generally work far better if they are not integrated into a single device.

Sensors are designed to detect movement across the view of the sensor, rather than directly towards or away from it, so as usual, a light with a sensor in the same place is not the best solution.

Your comment makes sense, but then I guess it will require the running of sensor cable and a sensor some several metres away from the light.

What a stupid comment.

Do you think the use of lights are only to facilitate burglars and never householders as they approach or leave a property? And of course, shining a bright light (that faces a highway) is worse than a dark spot with the burglar not needing a torch or using a small pen light.
I suggest you do some research into the efficacy of "security lighting" before declaring whose comments are stupid.

If you read my original question, you will see that I never asked anything about burglar protection. I asked if there was a way of prevening false triggers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back