Floor cramps amd secret nailers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read somewhere that you don't need to use cramps if using a secret nailer as the nailer "kicks" the new board into place. Is this right? I'm about to get some kit from a hire shop to fit T & G boards this weekend so would appreciate some advice as I don't want to hire more stuff than I need as this "project's rapidly going overbudget!

Sponsored Links
As long as you don't walk (or if absolutely needed carefully) over the freshly installed boards you don't need a clamp

WYL, thanks, you mention not walking on the boards, do I need to allow them time to settle? If so I'll have to learn how to hover.

Did they never told you you can't walk over a wooden floor, ever?
You can only look at it ;)

Just kidding, but especially the first day and until you've installed the whole room you need to be careful when walking over freshly (recently) installed wood floors. They do need a bit of time to settle and better save than sorry.

Sponsored Links
OK ta. I did realise that wood floors were for decoration only, so I'll hire a nice set of hover boots instead of the floor clamps, probably cost the same. :) I was surprised that clamps aren't needed on a 2m long board though, but I'll do as suggested.

i think woody has presumed your fitting a glued down floor. When nailing you need to stand on the floor while fitting! So fine to walk on it. And no you dont need clamps as the nailer will pull the planks in as you work your way along the plank.

black - very occasionally you need to encourage the odd awkward board into place before setting-to with the nailer; yes, you can use a floor clamp but a good alternative is to drive a stout chisel a little way into the edge of the joist and use it as a lever to apply the encouragement (careful not to damage the tongues). I think in maybe the last 10 years I've used my clamps half-a-dozen times (I've got a pair of Record jobbies) - I think this is due to better quality flooring timber being more readily available than when I first started out.

Thanks folks. It is indeed nailed to joists, looking at the nailer information it did look like I had to walk on it (no hovering required) I assumed WYL meant after it was fitted to give it time to settle. As the general concensus appears to be no clamps I'll save the £16 plus VAT.

Would just like to confirm though that as you can't secret nail the last and first few boards, having to nail from above, are the clamps still unecesarry?

Its always nice to have clamps with you for when you do get a stuburn plank, but not normally needed. Mine come out the van about once every six months!

I assumed WYL meant after it was fitted to give it time to settle.
Right ;) I've seen boards being 'walked' out of their nails when the floor was only half done. So always walk with care until the whole room is finished.

No, honestly. Saw it happen. Guy was rushing around, not looking what his heavy shoes were kicking and uplifted a few boards while he was trying to get the job done.

Done it! Hard work though, had a little disaster when I chiseled into a heating pipe, it was a bit like the kid with his finger in the dyke (albeit a much older kid :LOL: ) anyway I fixed the leak with a compression joint and then laid celotex under the floor for heat and sound insulation with the T & G boards on top. I used the secret nailer tool from HSS, now there's a useful tool, and TBH for a first attempt I think it looks OK. Now just got to fit the new skirting boards, which is proving to be a bit of a pain as they, or the walls, don't seem too level, gaps everywhere, as they are taller than the old ones. Still a minor problem.

Thanks for the advice and tips etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back