Floor insulation options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am converting my garage into a living space (permitted development).

The current floor is an un-insulated concrete slab with a 2" slope

My current plan is as follows:

Damp proof membrane directly on the slab.
Then 50mm foil backed Celotex.
Then a screed to level the floor, 1" at thinnest to 3" at thickest point.
Then 1" battens and 1" Celotex
Then floor boards

I understand that regs call for 1200mm of Celotex but their is no way I can raise the floor that much.I have seen multifoil but this is controversial in its effectiveness and also needs an air gap on either side so I will not save much space. Another option is foil bubble insulation. Is their a thinner way that I can meet the required insulation amount?

Any thoughts and advise would be greatly appreciated.

NB: This conversion is out of necessity as I need to rent out my bedroom if I am to be able to pay the mortgage (thank you con-dems!). I am an amateur and will do as much of the work as possible myself. Please - no lectures about how I should work to regs - I an trying to do this but it is not possible with Celotex - hence the post!
Thanks,

Andy

Sponsored Links
Building control will not insist that you fit the max recommended depth of insulation, rather they will expect you to fit what is practical.

On our last conversion for instance, we didn't fit any.

I would try and achieve a (min) 2" screed at the thinnest point and insulate accordingly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back