Floor insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for the best performance for minimum thickness.

I'm looking to convert my garage into a habitable space. The floor in the garage is 85mm lower than in the house.

Really struggling to find a solution that will avoid having to dig up the floor. Target u value for building regs is 0.18 (Scotland) and best I can find kingspan TF & 18mm chipboard gets me to 0.21.

Perimeter ratio is 0.6, does anyone know of any better products/solutions?

Had hoped that I would have been able just to break up the screed but it's all one slab, had a go at it with a Kango last night and it's solid.

Sponsored Links
Normally Building Control will allow you to fit as much insulation as you can without having to dig up the floor and then if necessary compensate elsewhere by having slightly thicker insulation on the walls or roof.

Normally Building Control will allow you to fit as much insulation as you can without having to dig up the floor and then if necessary compensate elsewhere by having slightly thicker insulation on the walls or roof.

It's a heated space above and the external wall is already looking like 70mm kingspan (89mm posts) then 40mm kingspan k18 or a multi layer foil with battens.

Either way this brings finished wall surface almost to the window opening so not keen on adding any extra there either.

Generally, the provision of additional insulation has to be reasonable. If it would mess up your floor level (possibly causing a trip hazard?), and you have put plenty on the walls, your BCO should be flexible.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back